Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

Most definitely the beach of Hawaii or burmuda costa rica virgan islands
0 Kudos

Without hesitation, the beach, to live there but the mountains are the epitomy of natures beauty, and I'll always be humbled by that. But only for a visit.

0 Kudos

I live in Rockaway Beach, NY, on the beach block of a neighbor hood that was badly hurt by Meteroic Event Sandy.  I have every reason to want to leave, global warming being the main one.  But I'm getting old, and figure that the land will outlive me by a good 20 to 80 years, so I figure it is a good gamble and remain.  The air is incredible.  People speak about the taste and health benefits of good water.  I say tripple that with the effect of clean smelling sea air.  

The neighborhood is great, unless you want good pizza.  You can find a good burger almost everywhere (except Dalton's).  What we need is a good Diner.  For personal reasons, the last diner we head (which was great, but the way) had to close down.  the property was sold as a bank, and that was the end of that.  without good parking all rockaway restaurants are prone to starvation.  

parking in rockaway is at a premium.  

but yes, the beach.  definitely yes, the beach.  Mountains are cool too, especially if they have old, quiet tree forests,with nice dear paths.  sorry for the digression.

0 Kudos

I agree with you. I was born and lived most of my childhood and teen years in Rockaway. I know the area was pretty badly hit with Sandy, but, boy, I would love to still live there. Memories are wonderful.
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I live near the beach.  Love it.  The mountains are nice to visit.  But the shore is where my heart is. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Would rather live by the beach. like Daytona beach. Would love to see you give listing of retirement communities to see prices etc.

@AARPLynne wrote:
Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

the beach

0 Kudos

Born in Hawaii and living in Southern California since 1958, I found that beach cities are way too congested. We recently retired here in the mountains of San Jaun Colorado. A National Forest as a backyard, the wild has proven to be our best choice in our later years. This is where the River Runs Through It. Durango is our home town! Don't miss the beaches. . .or the congestion of the big cities.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Living in the Desert now after living in San Diego for many years both my husband & I keep returning to vacation the coast line areas.  I think that answers where we'd really like to live for the both of us execept for dealing with the Arthritis part.: ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Beach like my name sea&sun. in Spanish.
0 Kudos

How about the Pacific Northwest - you get BOTH mountains and Ocean!  SEE:  Oregon Coast.  Beautiful, but pricy for my pocketbook.  Or inland in the Olympic area; rented a very nice home for a few days last year with a deck overhanging a salmon run with rapids and wonderfully relaxing sound of a small waterfall upstream.  Note:  Be on the lookout for the bear(s) in the immediate area.

0 Kudos

By the beach or by the sea!!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Both... as we do... split up the year!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Need you ask? The BEACH!!! Smell the sea! Feel the breeze!!! The Ultimate HIGH!!! Yes, HiGH!!OMG, I would love to bottle this. Send me there, please.................

0 Kudos

I currently live in Honolulu so love going to the beach. We will be retiring early and plan on moving to Henderson, Nevada. A new adventure!
0 Kudos

We have plans to retire on a lake near Mt. Ranier, Wa. To me , it's the best of both! and the Ocean isn't far either!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Reared 4 kids in tropics and come from Texas ...but skied and love myself too
0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Definitely the BEACH !!
0 Kudos

I can take both as long as its in an area where the temperature is warm enough for me to enjoy both. Love the mountains, but not when its cold. Definitely love the beaches.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Having been an Air Force Brat I lived in Biloxi MS, San Jose Ca, Honolulu Hi, Boston Ma. and now Austin Tx. I'd have to say the Beach is still my Fav. I like visiting the mountains but I'd rather have my Bare Feet in the Sand.

0 Kudos

The beach.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Mountains - tried the beach, but missed the mountains.

Been in the mountains for most of my life.

44>dolt45
0 Kudos

In the mountains. Best place I found is Hot Springs, N.C. So small they do not even have a traffic light in the entire town. Population around 600, Police Chief and one part time officer is the police force. Only place along the entire Appalacian Trail where the trail actual enters a town (city). Trail runs down main street and back up the mountains.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I grew up in Wildwood, NJ, 2 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean. Had my share of the sand. Would like to spend some time in the mountains, maybe in a nice log cabin for a few weeks.
0 Kudos

I would much rather live by the beach. I never liked the sand too much until I got into metal detecting. I enjoy waking up early and walking the beach looking for treasures. Most of the time I am just picking up others people trash, But its great exercise
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jk119 wrote:
I would much rather live by the beach. I never liked the sand too much until I got into metal detecting. I enjoy waking up early and walking the beach looking for treasures. Most of the time I am just picking up others people trash, But its great exercise

Someone was just telling me that they would like to retire and do exactly what you are doing!  What is the most interesting thing you have ever found?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos

I live in Ohio so we don't have the mountains or a beach. But I definitely want to live near an ocean beach!
It's so beautiful and just sitting and listening to the waves is very relaxing!! I do love the mountains but the beach wins!!
0 Kudos

I say the beach, but at a Lake, instead of the ocean...no stingrays, no sharks, no salt water, but still the serenity of the waves.  We go to Camp Sherwin and have a camper right on the Bluffs, so we have the beauty of the woods and we overlook gorgeous Lake Erie!!!  Thank You, God!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Please.  The water.  I am a sun worshiper and like it hot.  Love the water.  It can be soothing and relaxing.
0 Kudos
Contributor

My pick is the mountains. Raised in Washington State and now settled in the Montana near Glacier Park. Hands down the beauty of the mountains wins. 
0 Kudos

That would have to be the mountains!! I live be the beach now and we are putting the house up for sale and are moving north!!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP