readers and tablets

Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Travel

Community Manager
AARPLynne

Where will your summer travels take you?

For the most part, I'll stay close to home this summer & enjoy activities nearby. Though in August, I'm meeting up with family for a week in Cape Cod. Growing up my family would always spend a week in some cabins on the Cape and my sister has carried on the tradition with her family. A few years back we started to join them. This year my folks and siblings and their families will all be there. Looking forward to spending this time away with everyone.
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPLynne

Re: Where will your summer travels take you?

The first trip I'm going to make is to my nephew's highschool graduation. Later in summer, we'll keep the tradition alive and return to the Cape. What are everyone's summer travel plans?
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
thesimplewhiterabbit

We're driving a portion of Route 66, Amarillo to Kingman.  Flying into Dallas to see friends, then driving to Amarillo to begin our trek.  We'll fly home out of Las Vegas.  Several years ago we drove Chicago to Amarillo, with a side trip to Palo Duro Canyon in Texas.  Then time we'll have a side trip to the south side of the Grand Canyon.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
CRPeine

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Cape Cod.  I've always wanted to visit and it was even better than I could have imagined.  Beaches were so beautiful.  Favorite day--visit to Provincetown.  Wonderful fish n chips at Pepe's on the beach, Whale watching tour with Dolphin Fleet--and yes we saw whales--beautiful although be prepared and dress warmly while on the boat, tour with Art's Dune Tours--who could imagine how beautiful sand can be, shops were quaint, everyone we met was so friendly--wonderful day ending with evening on the beach with a perfectly gorgeous sunset.  Wonderful experience at Rock Harbor fish market where my family purchased fresh lobster for evening meal.  Wonderful young lady running her father's store was so helpful. My family is from SE Kansas which offers its own beauty but visits to coastal communities never disappoint.  I hope we can revisit this area again!

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
helmut2

I will fly in to Barcelona Spain, I love Barcelona, and it is two years since I visited. It is a fanastic city with lots of history.
The beaches are wonderful and the inner city has a lot of entertainment by day and night. After a few days in the city I will take a cruise ship via South Atlantic, stopping at several places in to Miami  
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
helmut2

Tahiti a Paradies

Just returned from a two week trip to Tahiti. Flew from CLT via LAX to Papeete. There I boarded a cruise ship and cruised to about 8- 12 Islands. The scenery was magnificienr, the water and swimming was excellent, and the local people just fantastic. If it were not so far from us I would like to visit every year.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
MrChocoholic

One of the great things about living in South Florida is that staying close to home also means visiting some pretty exotic places at our doorstep. My 10 year-old daughter (yeah, I know) and I (retired at 59) love traveling together. She's been to Cozumel, Mexico; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; the Cayman Islands and the Keys. Next up: we're headed to the Bahamas on a cruise line we haven't tried before. So many destinations throughout the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico are only a quick flight or "fun" cruise away it's crazy to stay home. 
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
MrChocoholic

In Response to Re: Where will your summer travels take you?:
I will fly in to Barcelona Spain, I love Barcelona, and it is two years since I visited. It is a fanastic city with lots of history. The beaches are wonderful and the inner city has a lot of entertainment by day and night. After a few days in the city I will take a cruise ship via South Atlantic, stopping at several places in to Miami  
Posted by helmut2

I've also been looking at Transatlantic repositioning cruises just like that one from Barcelona. Would like to hear about your experience, maybe on Cruise Critic's website or TripAdvisor. 
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
GCole713

Before my brother passed from brain cancer in 2011, we would spend two weeks every year visiting family. Now I am divorced and filed bankruptcy and can't afford to go see family. My mother is 81 and suffers from Dementia and my youngest brother is now battling brain cancer. I am hoping that I can visit with him in person before he is gone. Besides other issues, this is the most important.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
angie1977

In Response to Re: Where will your summer travels take you?:
  We've decided on two future vacations; Norwegian cruise to see the Aurora Borealis ("northern lights") and to Rio for the '16 Olympic Games.  We just can't figure out which one to go to first since we both retire in about 3-4 years and that vacation will be our "post-working world" celebration.  Guess it'll come down to which one is less expensive.  There's still a lot of this country that we want to see also; especially some of the national parks out west.
Posted by dchicks1

We were going to take a trip to Italy this summer (my dream) but instead we went out west to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons (my husband's dream trip) and did a lot of hiking.  I wasn't to thrilled about hiking, but OMG, this was the greatest trip ever!  I am glad we put off Italy to see more of our beautiful country and all the different wildlike in the two national parks. 
Please use plain text.