Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Info Seeker

Re: Retirement communities in Mexico

Message 11 of 21 (2,005 Views)

My Grandfather lived in San Miguel de Allende for many years. Itwas my delight to spend three weeks there every year, just before Christmas, & after the New Year. My love for the amazing community & surrounding beauty only grows every year! The "gringo" population there is about 15%... at least that's what I was told last time I was there. This is a city of walking dreams... beauty everywhere, a thriving senior citizen community, & many artists go there to either live or be inspired! This is the place to be!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 12 of 21 (2,119 Views)

My wife and I retired in 2007 to the Lake Chapala region of the Mexican State of Jalisco. We saw no way of enjoying or affording retirement in the United States and in these 10 years we never have regretted that decision. We had visited 21 of Mexico's 32 states and Lake Chapala offered the best opportunities. It is far more than economics and climate that drew us to Mexico. I recalled grandparents who migrated from poor conditions in Europe to seek a better life in the United States. If they were capable and willing, then I too could migrate to Mexico in search of better life opportunities. My wife & I have immersed ourselves in the Mexican customs and traditions and discovered a healthier and happier life in retirement than we ever dreamed possible. Mexico, as with all parts of the world has some problems, but do not buy into the news media hype regarding Mexico being unsafe. We feel as safe here, maybe more so now, than we felt in the United States.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 21 (2,140 Views)

I have been thinking the same. Retiring in Mexico is sounding better every day. My son is a real estate agent and said to own property outside the US is often difficult as they require 50% down and a 5 year loan to pay it off. I believe it's more reasonable to rent.  For those with a large nest egg it is doable, but not for the average retiree. 

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 21 (1,967 Views)

Actually I have a good friend who owns and rents/VRBO beautifully decorated condos in Puerto Vallarta. They are located in Old Town, part of which is a gay community with a primarily gay beach. We stayed there a few years ago (we're a straight couple) and we were very comfortable and felt safe. Let me know if you're interested. 

Conversationalist

Message 15 of 21 (1,765 Views)

San Miguel de Allende is in mountains 1 1/2 hrs by car from Leon w nice modern airport. Very clean, very safe. Look for accommodations on VRBO.COM. Beautiful homes to rent short and long term. 

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 16 of 21 (1,967 Views)

Is this on the Pacific side or where? Very interested in visiting first. Where do you suggest staying, and how to get there? In question is San Miguel de Allande.

PS Is it safe?

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 21 (2,010 Views)
Are there any specifically gay friendly retirement spots in Mexico ( while not likely , I can only hope)
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 18 of 21 (2,640 Views)

I've been to Puerta Vallarta. It's a beautiful town. But I've heard that about a retirement/nursing home called Cielito Lindo in San Miguel de Allende. An aqaintence of mine moved down there with his wife who has Alzheimer's Disease. I saw pictures of her after she was there for a while. What a difference! She looked so much happier and healthier than prior to the move. I told my son that if I ever need a nursing home, to please take me there.

Conversationalist

Message 19 of 21 (2,704 Views)

My wife and I are not residents in Mexico, nor have we been to Puerta Vallarta.  We do, however, go to San Miguel de Allende every year.  The weather is great year round, services are good, culture is rich and the arts flourish - SMdA is considered by many to be the arts center of the country.  Restaurants are plentiful, varied and reasonably priced.  They have the largest English language library in the country and an active community of expats.  Before you make up your mind where you are going to retire - give it a try. 

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 21 (2,691 Views)

You might take a look at this blog and there are many others. I believe this person has lived in San Miguel for approx 15 years.

https://babsofsanmiguel.blogspot.com/