Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Retirement communities in Mexico

Message 1 of 21 (636 Views)

MICHAELinTulum...Info Seeker:

Go to www.youtube.com and search EXPATSINMEXICO/AJIJIC. View my video...David Huff speaks on Ajijic and it might answer some of the info you seek. Leave a message if you have questions or an email if you want questions answered and I'll reply.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 21 (654 Views)

I live in Hawaii. I own a house lot in San  Felipe, Mexico. I thought at one time to build a winter home there. But, I have decided that the triple digit temperatures are too high. I do not speak Spanish. I plan on staying here in Hawaii. But, life may have other plans

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 21 (659 Views)

VERY FIRST EVENING I HAVE READ AND RESPONDED TO THIS FORUM.

I TOO HAVE JUST RETIRED.  I RETURNED TO WORK FOR A YEAR AFTER MY MOTHER PASSED AWAY.  NOW I AM EXPLORING PLACES I WOULD CONSIDER TO BE MY NEXT HOME.  AND I AM INTERESTED IN CONTINUING CONVERSATION W U ABOUT OPPORTUNITIES IN YOUR COMMUNITY-- Please can you explain how we continue this communication as I am a novice to this system..

I have a love of the Spanish language (still a beginning student) and the Mexican culture.  I prefer lush green rolling hills so I will try to read more about your area..I recently visited San Miguel de las Casas -- does your city have a similar flavor??

I worked as an environmental scientist and have a strong love of nature and outdoor activities (swimming, hiking, canoeing)..But access to art, music, literature, etc is equally important to me.  And I am an egalitarian--a liberal thinker.  Have you thought about how the different personalities in your future community will interact?? 

I have an invitation in live beside my old treasured friend in Rincon, Puerto Rico.  But I am having some misgivings even though her house and area are beautiful -- may be too hot, definitely too much driving and too many cars, and yes I need my own space..  Any thoughts/ comments in response??  Let me know how to stay in touch

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 21 (1,022 Views)

Hello,

I have lived and worked in Guanajuato City (located in the central highlands in the geographical center of the country) for 20 years and am about to retire from my university position here.  A few years ago, I built a large one-storey house with wheelchair amenities, like outside ramps, etc. with the idea of having my parents come down from the U.S. and live with me.  Unfortunately, they both passed away before I finished the house.  Now, I'm about to retire. I love living here in the mountains overlooking the city, about 20 minutes to the city center,  and I want to stay here the rest of my life. But not alone. I like my privacy, so roommates is not the solution, but aging alone isn't wise, either. The idea I think will work is co-housing: the large main house as a communal area with small cottage-duplexes built with ADA features nearby.  I have plenty of land. I'm looking for 6-10 like-minded people to join me in making this project a reality. Please google Guanajuato to learn more about it.  It's  located 40 minutes from the Leon (BJX) international airport, is a beautiful colonial World Heritage City, the state capitol, and a university town with lots of cultural events and a small expat community. It is also a tourist-friendly town and draws visitors from around the world.  Lake Chapala, San Miguel de Allende and Ajijic are the most popular and largest  expat communities in Mexico and their prices and cost of living reflect that.  If you are interested or just curious about senior co-housing in general, I would recommend the article "Aging Better Together" by Anne. P. Glass as a good introduction. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 21 (2,061 Views)

You are so welcome!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 21 (2,063 Views)

Thank you for the info, and your time.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 21 (2,103 Views)

I reached my friend. He would like me to share his website with you. It is:

JefferyHillVacationRentals.com 

He also owns and rents out houses/condos in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I have stayed in both his FL and Puerto Vallarta rentals and they are always beautifully decorated with fabulous amenities. Good luck! 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 21 (2,251 Views)

AMAR has a wonderful online newsletter for US and Canadian citizens interested in Mexico both as tourists and temporary/permanent residents. Contact them at marketing@amar.org.mx

EXPATS IN MEXICO is another good online newsletter and you can contact them at

info@expatsinmexico.com

There are videos on YouTube if you search out AMAR and LAKE CHAPALA that discuss Mexico and in particular the Lake Chapala region...sights to see, real estate, festivities, etc. The great feature for Ajijic and Chapala, villages on the north shore of Lake Chapala is that you are 30-40 minutes from Guadalajara airport with direct flights to the US...Guadalajara is Mexico's second largest city and just an hour north by car or public transportion via good bus service...just 4-5 hours west or south to the Pacific Ocean and resorts like Manzanillo and Puerta Varrarta...an established expat community for more than half century that is said to be the largest US expat residency worldwide outside the US - but still retains that Mexican cobblestone street/fishing village flavor in it's environment.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 21 (2,372 Views)

Thank you for repling!

We would be interested to see and rent.... Is there a website to look at pictures, etc?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 10 of 21 (2,405 Views)

Hi CarryL...

Agree with you that San Miguel de Allende is a beautiful community and yes it has attracted many expats. My wife and I were in San Miguel just last autumn as part of a tour we took throughout the State of Guanajuato. Those memories of past visits I'm sure are treasured and hope you will continue to visit San Miguel and other aspects of the interior Colonial Mexico.