Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Travel

Info Seeker
dujoan

Most memorable vacation spots

Banff, Alberta Canada definitely tops the list--magnificent beauty surrounds you---hope I get to back again someday.
Years ago went to Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio--Wonderful hiking around "old man's cave"--Took so many gorgeous photographs there--canyons, cliffs, waterfalls, forests.
And favorite Beach destination is Santa Rosa Beach in Florida.  Water is multiple shade of blue, sand is clean and white and beaches aren't crowded.
Wish I could travel more!
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
dujoan

Most memorable vacation spots

Banff, Alberta Canada definitely tops the list--magnificent beauty surrounds you---hope I get to back again someday.
Years ago went to Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio--Wonderful hiking around "old man's cave"--Took so many gorgeous photographs there--canyons, cliffs, waterfalls, forests.
And favorite Beach destination is Santa Rosa Beach in Florida.  Water is multiple shade of blue, sand is clean and white and beaches aren't crowded.
Wish I could travel more!
Please use plain text.
Conversationalist
Irish6052

Re: Most memorable vacation spots

I have two memorable vacations:.

The first was in October 1989....this was PRE cell phones...so I made certain I went somewhere without a phone.  I rented a cottage at Dillon Beach, California (north of San Francisco). I packed my car w/ kitchen essentials, food & my dog (mini-red-dachshund) & took off.  My boss was frosted that he would not be able to contact me for 10-days!!! ;-))  My significant other arrived the first night. We walked the beach for miles & climbed vertical cliffs (w/ the very short-legged dog) that we had no business climbing, but found it so exhilerating.  October weather at the coast north of San Francisco is absolutely beautiful, although we had some rain storms that knocked out the power on & off.. We sat on the cliffs to watch the 'jets' fly over & the big carrier ships come in, as it was 'Fleet-Week' in San Francisco Bay.  We traveled the wine country, stopping in small towns to soak-up the culture, drank wine, bought wine & the dog always w/ us & welcome to any winery or pub. We ate spectacular meals, fresh from the sea, buying fish & seafood right off the fishermen's boats. I returned to work so rested & relaxed I was ready for my high-paced & demanding job as a RN, clinic-manager of an urgent-care medical clinic. 

The second vacation was in May 2000....to Maui for 8-days to celebrate my nephew's 21st birthday, so it was a trip for family...my sister, her 3-sons (in their 20's) & my 8-yr old son. Upon arrival we found that the Condo that we had booked was damaged due to a broken pipe & flooding, so we were 'up-graded' to a much better Condo!!!!  From our balcony, we were so close to the ocean, we went to the annual Jazz festival w/ world reknowned musicians.  Of course we ate great food daily...did a luau...drove to Hana, hiked in through the rain-forests to find astounding waterfalls & pools for swimming & diving. We snorkled (astounding!!). The trip provided wonderful memories for our family....I still have photos of this trip on my frig, which inspire me.
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPBettyCM

These are all good ideas. New Zealand sounds interesting. Has anyone tried the Road Scholar trips? They used to be Elderhostel.   They have an interesting trip to Australia/New Zealand

ElderHostel                             

Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia. Courtesy of Tourism New South Wales
They used to be a very inexpensive way to travel. Are they still inexpensive? Anyone know?

Online Community Manager,
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
rondogpike

I fly via float plane into remote lakes in nortwest Ontario, Canada. The lakes, wildlife, woods, rivers, waterfalls, and of course fish make for an incredible trip. I have done this every summer since 1989 and never grow tired of these trips.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
SueZQ92

Folly Beach, SC - Every year my five sisters and I go on vacation together to Folly Beach.  Always have a day or two in Charleston, too.  Just getting away, relaxing, no kids!!, no husbands!! ;-)
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
TripperX

All my travels have been memorable.....love the Adirondacks in the fall, and Indian Lake where we rent a lovely lake house sometimes.....
Never tire of St.John in the U.S Virgin Islands..St.Lucia was a great place to visit...made better by my daughters wedding there last April :smileyhappy:
Florida and Hawaii....just didn't really care for too much.....love the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.
Heading to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel in July and going all out and breaking the bank on a $30,000 a week villa on Barbados next year during Crop Over.....splitting the cost with a few other couples so it won't be so bad....Travel is what we enjoy and where our extra money goes :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
turk123

This was our best vacation to date.Jill my wife,Ramona my daughter and I were invited to stay with our old neighbors who moved 3 years ago to Auckland NZ.Vladimir,Robin and the children Lydia,Sophia and James really moved to paradise.They live 30 minutes outside Auckland in a suburb of Howick NZ.
        The north island has great spots to visit from Rotorua where the hot springs are,to hot water beach where you can dig your hot tub in the sand at low tide.Cape Rienga at the very tip of the North island where the Pacific ocean and the
Tasman Sea come together was an awesome sight.We were in NZ for 21 days.Fresh fruit was everywhere.OUr friends
had the following fruit trees in their backyard:smileytongue:lum,apple,lemon,banana.cherry and blackberry.It was summer there and a great relief from winter in Milwaukee our home town.
      We also visited the South Island where the natural beauty was unbelievable.From Milford Sound and Queenstown
everything we saw was unforgetable.We stayed in Queenstown with two great people Sue and Sid G.The view from their front porch was beathtaking,they live minutes away from the mountains where the Lord of the Rings was filmed.
Ramon and Lydia even skydived over Queenstown.Milford Sound has 1000 ft cliffs hundreds of waterfalls and dolphins
sea lions and other wildlife.
     Our trip was trully one for a lifetime.Go see NZ but remember there is two islands to see so give yourself enough time to see both.
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPLynne

The Abaco Islands: Elbow Cay and Lubbers Quarters Cay!!
Please use plain text.
Social Butterfly
oldgraymare2

I would like to go back to South Dakota for a visit. It has so many interesting places to visit. I would like to go back to the Badlands and to the Black Hills again. My husband has never been out that way, and I know that he would enjoy it.

Others have mentioned Canada. I have been to Ontario several times, and have been to Quebec. My husband has never been to either, and I think that he would enjoy seeing both provinces, so it would be nice if we could go and see them, too.
Please use plain text.