Exclusive Military Offer: Save 20% on Your AARP Membership. Activate Your Membership Today

Info Seeker

Re: Most memorable vacation spots

Message 1 of 13 (1,887 Views)
Paris, France in early summer. We did last summer, walked or took public transportation, ate at restaurants recommended by locals we met. We learned that if we tried to speak some French everyone tried to speak enough English so we were able to communicate to everyone's satisfaction.
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 13 (1,887 Views)
Sounds like an adventure.  I think it is wonderful to have a vacation with a purpose.  Great job!
In Response to Re: Most memorable vacation spots:
My son & I were driving back from Xela, Guatemala where we did volunteer work at an orphanage. I'm an artist & took supplies with me. I taught the kids  three different technques. We brought them back & sold them, all proceeds going back to the orphanage. We were driving back to Oakland through Mexico when the car broke down. It was in a small town half an hour north of Acapulco. After we ordered the neccesary part we had such a wonderful time.  It cost us $1 each day to take the shuttle to the beach. It was fun to splash in the ocean but too rough to swim but there was a warm lagoon across the road. It was lined wtih thatch roofed restaurants. We had a rope swing. We had cable TV & watched movies with famous people that we never saw here. We were the only gringos in town & the peope were so wonderful, taking pride in meeting us. Not only were the only gringos but a mother & son. We went back to Xela two more years, with other family members. We did the artwork the first time we went back. I'm still marketing those paintings.
Posted by NancyDonohue72

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 13 (1,887 Views)
My son & I were driving back from Xela, Guatemala where we did volunteer work at an orphanage. I'm an artist & took supplies with me. I taught the kids  three different technques. We brought them back & sold them, all proceeds going back to the orphanage. We were driving back to Oakland through Mexico when the car broke down. It was in a small town half an hour north of Acapulco. After we ordered the neccesary part we had such a wonderful time.  It cost us $1 each day to take the shuttle to the beach. It was fun to splash in the ocean but too rough to swim but there was a warm lagoon across the road. It was lined wtih thatch roofed restaurants. We had a rope swing. We had cable TV & watched movies with famous people that we never saw here. We were the only gringos in town & the peope were so wonderful, taking pride in meeting us. Not only were the only gringos but a mother & son.

We went back to Xela two more years, with other family members. We did the artwork the first time we went back. I'm still marketing those paintings.
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 13 (2,376 Views)
I would like to go back to South Dakota for a visit. It has so many interesting places to visit. I would like to go back to the Badlands and to the Black Hills again. My husband has never been out that way, and I know that he would enjoy it.

Others have mentioned Canada. I have been to Ontario several times, and have been to Quebec. My husband has never been to either, and I think that he would enjoy seeing both provinces, so it would be nice if we could go and see them, too.
Community Manager

Message 5 of 13 (2,376 Views)
The Abaco Islands: Elbow Cay and Lubbers Quarters Cay!!
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 13 (2,376 Views)
This was our best vacation to date.Jill my wife,Ramona my daughter and I were invited to stay with our old neighbors who moved 3 years ago to Auckland NZ.Vladimir,Robin and the children Lydia,Sophia and James really moved to paradise.They live 30 minutes outside Auckland in a suburb of Howick NZ.
        The north island has great spots to visit from Rotorua where the hot springs are,to hot water beach where you can dig your hot tub in the sand at low tide.Cape Rienga at the very tip of the North island where the Pacific ocean and the
Tasman Sea come together was an awesome sight.We were in NZ for 21 days.Fresh fruit was everywhere.OUr friends
had the following fruit trees in their backyardSmiley Tonguelum,apple,lemon,banana.cherry and blackberry.It was summer there and a great relief from winter in Milwaukee our home town.
      We also visited the South Island where the natural beauty was unbelievable.From Milford Sound and Queenstown
everything we saw was unforgetable.We stayed in Queenstown with two great people Sue and Sid G.The view from their front porch was beathtaking,they live minutes away from the mountains where the Lord of the Rings was filmed.
Ramon and Lydia even skydived over Queenstown.Milford Sound has 1000 ft cliffs hundreds of waterfalls and dolphins
sea lions and other wildlife.
     Our trip was trully one for a lifetime.Go see NZ but remember there is two islands to see so give yourself enough time to see both.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 13 (2,376 Views)
All my travels have been memorable.....love the Adirondacks in the fall, and Indian Lake where we rent a lovely lake house sometimes.....
Never tire of St.John in the U.S Virgin Islands..St.Lucia was a great place to visit...made better by my daughters wedding there last April Smiley Happy
Florida and Hawaii....just didn't really care for too much.....love the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.
Heading to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel in July and going all out and breaking the bank on a $30,000 a week villa on Barbados next year during Crop Over.....splitting the cost with a few other couples so it won't be so bad....Travel is what we enjoy and where our extra money goes Smiley Happy
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 13 (2,376 Views)
Folly Beach, SC - Every year my five sisters and I go on vacation together to Folly Beach.  Always have a day or two in Charleston, too.  Just getting away, relaxing, no kids!!, no husbands!! ;-)
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 13 (2,376 Views)
I fly via float plane into remote lakes in nortwest Ontario, Canada. The lakes, wildlife, woods, rivers, waterfalls, and of course fish make for an incredible trip. I have done this every summer since 1989 and never grow tired of these trips.
Retired Moderator

Message 10 of 13 (2,376 Views)
These are all good ideas. New Zealand sounds interesting. Has anyone tried the Road Scholar trips? They used to be Elderhostel.   They have an interesting trip to Australia/New Zealand

ElderHostel                             

Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia. Courtesy of Tourism New South Wales
They used to be a very inexpensive way to travel. Are they still inexpensive? Anyone know?