Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Info Seeker

Re: Have you taken an all-inclusive vacation?

Message 1 of 15 (558 Views)

Quite a few years ago took one in Costa Rica at a Sol Melia resort on the Pacific Coast. Was fantastic. 3 or 4 different restaurants with wonderful menus. Wine list very good. No house wine or open bottles. Bottles uncorked at the table. Even alcoholic drinks included. However, there I think the open bottle at the bar were watered down. 

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 15 (2,167 Views)
Club Med (Sandpiper) is a nice club for those 60 and under. It does not accommodate guests who our 80 +.
We found the club boring as there was little to do for the 80+ and the handicapped. The shows were geared to the younger ages. Food was nothing to write home about. We have been to other Club Meds years ago and enjoyed them. but not Sandpiper. It's hard to find a venue that caters to the 80+ group and handicapped. We tried Sandpiper because it was easy to get to and that was the only good thing about it.
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 15 (5,554 Views)

Just returned from Club Med in Ixtapa Mexico less than a week ago.  Had a most wonderful time. The grounds are quite nice and on a beautiful beach with the warmest water we have ever experienced. I thought Grace Bay was warm, this had to be 90 degrees!  Staff very friendly and warm.  We are in our 60's and enjoyed all it had to offer.  Dinner menus were varied and every night a different theme. All was buffet except one night was ala carte.  The one complaint was the lack of actual restaurants to go to.  Had most meals every day in the same place.  They did have a small poolside place to grab sandwiches/hamburgs.  We did that most days just for a cahnge of scenery.

Food was plentiful and well prepared.  They really knocked themselves out. Although tips were included we did leave a few dollars for dinner and with the bar tenders, as they kept the drinks coming and full!

Great walking paths off site, onsite tennis courts with several tennis pros, two pools plus one for adults only, but small and not near food/drinks/restrooms.  Since it was so uncrowded, we were on the beach most days right in the middle of everyhting.  Few Americans and lots of locals on the weekends with LARGE parties.  Rooms were ok, had AC, but no balcony where we stayed. Oceanfront, so it was a disappointed not to be able to sit outside and have coffee in the AM. A few other buildings had balconies but were set further back than we were.

Overall a super vacation and we loved Ixtapa. It's about a 20 minute ride to town and a 40 minute ride to airport. Bus was right there to get us when we cleared customs!  I would go back in a heartbeat!

Housekeeping was great.  Don't forget to leave a few dollars for all the work they do!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 15 (5,676 Views)

Club Med does great all-inclusive resorts. I've been to Sandpiper (in Florida; their only one in the US), Punta Cana (Dominican Republic), and Turkoise (Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands). I like Turkoise best because it's adults-only.  It's not fancy, but it's on the same beautiful beach as resorts costing up to three times as much that don't include food, drinks or activities.  

It also tends to attract a slightly older crowd (30s to 60s+) that wants to do more on their vacations than lie around the pool or beach. Snorkeling is amazing (included, goes out twice per day). Food is good (served buffet style so you can pick what and how much— or how little—you like....easy to stay on your diet...or splurge.). 

This is is a great place to go if you're traveling alone, too. It's easy to meet people (at meals, during activities, at the outdoor bar). 

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 15 (5,906 Views)

Yes...went the Panama Canal last year and Costa Rica 7 years ago with Caravan escourted tours.Both trips were well worth the money. Three meals a day (all were buffets) on a tour bus with a tour guide. (you have to buy your own alcoholic drinks however water was provided)  If they didn't know the answer to a question they had it for you the next day. You were rotated around the bus each day which is a very fair way to do it....I prefer not wandering around in a foreign country being lost and driving could be a real job. 

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 15 (6,038 Views)

Yes I did an all inclusive to the Dominican republic ,it's the only way to go all the food and drinks you want, we loved it and hope to go back soon

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 15 (6,057 Views)

We are in our early 60's and took an all inclusive to Cancun with another couple.  Stayed at a Riu Las Palace Americas and enjoyed ourselved very much.  No tipping, meals were very good, drink service was excellent, grounds and pool/beach were wonderful.  Would do it again, especially because our package included air & ground transfers.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 15 (6,115 Views)

Most of the replies seem to have taken an all inclusive trip to a hotel/resort in Mexico where all inclusive means included food and drinks.  Last spring my wife and I took a real "All Inclusive" vacation in the form of a river boat cruise down the Danube river in Europe.  We toured on the "SCENIC" line of river boats which truly is all inclusive.  Meals, drinks, tours, tips and even butler service to our room. After a full week of splendor we had a bill of $38 for some products my wife bought in the salon during 2 massages.  Tips for everyone on board and off board are included.  It truly was all inclusive.  It is the best trip we have ever taken.  We are going to do the Rhine this coming spring with some friends.  I can not recommend Scenic Cruise line enough.  They are top notch in the industry.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 15 (6,288 Views)

We have taken 2 all inclusive vacations, one near Playa del Carmen in Mexico and one in Punta Cana. In PC we stayed at the RIU Palace Punta Cana. It is a beautiful hotel with excellent food and drinks.However PC is far away from any part of The Dominican Repubic that is not dedicated to catering to tourists. I don't remember our hotel in Playa Del Carmen, it was over 10 years ago, and I got food poisoning. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 15 (6,440 Views)

I have not. DW and I actually enjoy the process of planning trips ourselves (a winter project). But, primarily, we're into hiking and always stay in places where we have a kitchen, so all-inclusive type of trip would make no sense for us. I can understand the allure of that kind of trip, for others, however.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.