Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Travel

Silver Conversationalist
swimfanlane6

Have you ever been to a Nude Beach?

Have you ever been to a nude beach? I went to one in Maui, Hawaii, but never here on the East Coast. It ended up not being that big a deal after all. This may sound weird, but I think I'd only go to one where I or my friends didn't know anyone ... rather than say, a naturist colony or beach. Guess I still have some hangups I need to work on. :-) 
Please use plain text.
Silver Conversationalist
goldye

Re: Have you ever been to a Nude Beach?

I spent the summer of 1971 at 17 yrs. (between 11th & 12th gr. in high school) living at my uncle's house outside Paris, France.  It was the best summer ever and yes he took me to a nudist colony outside Paris (swimming pool - no beach).  Quite the experience but my uncle & my Mom did prep me beforehand so I knew what to expect.  As stated above, Europeans don't have the hangups about nudity that Americans do.  Going to a nudist colony felt like spending a day in summer camp - volleyball, swimming, tennis, etc.  Nobody cares what you look like & nobody stares at your private parts.  I would never do the same in the U.S.  I know there are nudist camps in the U.S. but my family would never attend.  Also I don't know anybody in the U.S. who did attend a nudist camp.  I will say this, having spent an entire summer in France I experienced 1st hand how European culture & the way children are raised is very different compared to the U.S.  Besides the nudity factor, take food for example.  Europeans eat much healthier than Americans do - no fast food or junk food EVER.  Their daily diet is fruits, vegetables, bread, dairy, fish & chicken.  Drinks? water, juice & wine.  Also Europeans walk A LOT - no need to hit the gym.  Ex:  Every day after dinner I walked for 1 HOUR - REQUIRED!!!  Next - Education - The school year is 200 days - not 180 & the school day is from 8:00 - 4:00 PM.   Also, shopping - Europeans don't hit the malls as frequently as Americans do. Shopping is considered a special occasion - not a weekend habit. Europeans tend to do other things on weekends i.e. visit relatives, go to parks, spend summers on the Mediterranean, etc. Finally, parents spend more time teaching children proper behavior.  Children are expected to behave in public.   Maybe things have relaxed a bit since 1971 but I doubt it since I recently saw a segment on the TODAY show featuring a French mother explaining how children are raised compared to Americans. Same as 1971.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
AFPGuy

Yes, I've been to a number of nude resorts and am a member of AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation). Like several others who posted, I'm constantly amazed at how hung up American are about nudity. It's not all about sex, but freedom and comfort. Walking around outside without clothes feeling the sun and the breezes all over your body is amazing and there is no comparison between skinny dipping and wearing a bathing suit. Plus whether you are young or old, skinny or fat, you will be accepted by other nudists for who you are, not how you look, and no tan lines. It doesn't get any better than that.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
NudismGuy

In Response to Have you ever been to a Nude Beach?:
Have you ever been to a nude beach? Posted by swimfanlane6

I've been to South Padre Island in Texas, Black's Beach in California, Rooster Rock in Oregon, Sauvies Island Nude Beach in Orgeon, Hippie Hollow also in Texas,  Haulover in Florida, and the nude beach at Club Orient in St. Martin.  Haulover is the best so far followed by Club Orient.

Nude beaches are an excellent place to enjoy the sun and water in a freeing body experience.  I've been enjoying them and nudist resorts for over 45 years.

Unfortunately there are very few legal nude beaches in the U.S. today.  Most are just tolerated by authorities and are not legal at all with the exception of Hippie Hollow, Haulover, and Gunnison Beach in New Jersey.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
KIDNOMO

Too many wrinkles...may be mistaken for a flag.
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPLynne

Yes! As a teenager my girlfriends and I accidenatally happened upon a nude beach on Martha's Vineyard--we were a couple of horrified & embarrassed girls!
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
LadyDee114

In Response to Re: Have you ever been to a Nude Beach?:
No, but I'd like to go to gawk at the naked women!  LOL
Posted by ddpianoman

Yes, quite a few years ago while in the Carribean, and really enjoyed it. Swimming never felt beter.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
neilrobert

Absolutely.   Nothing is less sexy or appealing than wearing a wet bathing suit all day. 
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
bbobm09

My wife and I have visited the local nude beach MANY times!!!! By the way, to all of you that have written that you are too old or not in good enough shape, you're totally missing the point of nude beaches. It's NOT about what you look like... Rather, it's about how it makes you feel! The sun shining down upon your unadorned body can easily give you a rush of freedom that's hard to beat. (no, that wasn't a nasty pun!!!)
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
bilbirk

In Response to Re: Have you ever been to a Nude Beach?:
No, but I'd like to go to gawk at the naked women!  LOL
Posted by ddpianoman
This is exactly why Americans have the hang up they do with Nudity.
Please use plain text.