Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Re: Glacier national park

Message 1 of 19 (758 Views)

I would definitely suggest hiking boots. Depending on the trail, some can be pretty rugged.

Info Seeker

Re: Glacier national park September visit

Message 2 of 19 (849 Views)

Hi there. With only one day to see Glacier I doubt you will have time to do any hiking. Take the Road to the Sun and you will see the magnificent beauty of Glaciers and more. That drive will take you all day round trip, but make sure to stop along the way at waterfalls, overlooks, and visitor centers. Have fun!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 19 (867 Views)

I was only there once and only had one day. Drove the Going to the Sun road and it was awesome!!! Would encourage anyone to visit and spend at least a week so you can see and enjoy much more then I was able.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 19 (1,318 Views)

I was making a general statement to cover all our state parks,better safe than sorry.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 19 (1,328 Views)
Glacier National Park was named because the landscape was carved by glaciers during the last ice age, 12,000-15,000 years ago. Its been warming ever since then. Its name does not come from the tiny glaciers that remain, so no need to change the name!
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 19 (1,334 Views)
There are no poisonous snakes in Glacier.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 19 (1,417 Views)

I would never hike in a place like Glacier without hiking boots. If you only have time for one hike, and the Going to the Sun road is open all the way, I strongly suggest the hike behind the Logan Pass Visitor Center. I've taken that hike at least a dozen times and ALWAYS see wildlife right along the trail. 

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 19 (1,499 Views)

If my family goes hiking we check the parks web site to check on restrictions and rules,also what to look out for like bears and snakes.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 19 (1,518 Views)

"...Sorry if this sounds disturbing, but global warming is destroying the glaciers....".

Yes. It depends on whether or not there are some really good winter snows in the future. If not, glaciers could be gone in 20 years.

DW and I have been hiking for 40 years. I have pics of Glacier glaciers from the 70's, and current ones showing the difference. Same up in Canada. I have pics of the Icefields on the Icefields Parkway in Alberta showing the ice almost to the road. The recession has been enormous. The glacier is backed way up.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 19 (1,522 Views)

BETHHRSN wrote:

"...I am visiting the park at the end of September! Just wondering what to expect in terms of hiking...do I need hiking boots or will tennis shoes suffice....what else to I need? We will be doing a 1 day visit. I'm traveling with a group and just a last minute tag along.....".

Definitely need hiking boots if you are going to do any 'real' hiking. For one day, however, you can probably get by. It's really not possible to tell you unless I know which trail you're going to tackle. Glaicer/Waterton is our favorite park next to Canadian Rockies, so have gone there many times.

It's also impossible to predict weather. It could stay warmer than usual, and al you'll need is a light jacket. But, what if it snows (and it can easily happen that late in year) or a heavy rain?

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”