What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Ever been guilty of leaving vacation days on the table?

Message 11 of 18

Worked for same company for almost 30 yrs & at first it was a use it or lose it policy, so I used it & had no regrets.  Later we were able to  sell back up to week of vacation time which I took advantage of since this option came during the Christmas shopping period.

Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 18

"...Just don't get it.  I take my vacations!!...".

I recall discussing this, water-cooler kind of stuff, when in corporate. Anecdotally, there was a bit of everything. Some people just didn't have an interest -- beyond me, but not everyone wants to travel or even, just stay home. Some people did feel pressured --- if they took time off, they would be 'looked down' upon. I only saw that in one place that was pretty much of a 'sweat shop'. Other places I worked had decent management who encouraged people to take time off.

Some people claimed it was just too expensive, and didn't want a 'staycation'. DW and I were hard-core savers, but we could afford to go tent camping, which we did, for years, using our vacation days. That is, it just didn't cost much to do that. Of course, tent camping is not most peoples first choice!

Apparently, some people just did not have a life away from work.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 18

AARPLynne wrote:

By now, it’s almost a cliché to point out what a terrible job Americans do at relaxing. But it’s worth taking a closer look at the latest numbers: Glassdoor reports that the average U.S. employee who gets paid vacation only uses half of it. (Okay, 51% if you want to be precise.) And while on vacation, 61% admit to doing at least a little work, including checking email and phoning in. More...

Have you ever been guilty of leaving vacation days on the table?

That is a crazy statistic.  I wonder what the various reasons would be.  Do they feel pressured by their employer?  Feel (mistakenly) that they cannot be replaced and have to do it all.   Just don't get it.  I take my vacations!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 18

AARPLynne wrote:

By now, it’s almost a cliché to point out what a terrible job Americans do at relaxing. But it’s worth taking a closer look at the latest numbers: Glassdoor reports that the average U.S. employee who gets paid vacation only uses half of it. (Okay, 51% if you want to be precise.) And while on vacation, 61% admit to doing at least a little work, including checking email and phoning in. More...

We have been the worst. The WORST at taking vacations. We even put off our honeymoon for a year so we could save the money.

This workworkwork thing has mostly been my fault. In my defense (I know this is defenseless, but humor me) I never worked for anyone but myself, so managed to tether myself to my work. Federal holidays were the best work days because the phone didn't ring and I could have quiet time to think.

DH suggested a few years back that I stop working and learn to relax ahead of retirement. That man is so wise.  

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 18

Most places I’ve ever worked in private industry always had the rule use it or lose it. They awarded you vacation hours sometime during the year and you had to use them up within the year. Which was no problem I always used those hours up and I bet they never missed me either.

Community Manager

Message 16 of 18

ah yes, @retiredtraveler, there's no better way to have an undisturbed vacation than to go camping!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 18

Nope. DW and I never had unused vacation days. Also never did work on vacation. The 'however' part of that is most of our work days were before PC's and cell phones, as is true of most boomers. 

Pretty hard to communicate when you're tent camping, and there are no phones or PC's. Oh darn!

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Community Manager

Ever been guilty of leaving vacation days on the table?

Message 18 of 18