Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Conversationalist

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 1 of 38

No my doctor still says NO.

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 38

Yes. My husband and I are waiting for the vaccine to be available. He is 75 and I am 73. No way do we want shingles.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 38

bc53421184 wrote:

I have a compromised immune system and I am not able to take the previous shingles vaccine. Would I be able to take this new one?

The new one (Shingrix) is not a live vaccine like Zostavax (older one).  So maybe, talk to your doctor.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 38

I have a compromised immune system and I am not able to take the previous shingles vaccine. Would I be able to take this new one?

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 38

Shingle shots are not recommended for anyone who has had chemo or has an auto-immune disease.  I have had chemo plud an auto-immune disease.

I had the shingles in May 2002, was left with post ther-petic neuralgia. The pain 

has not lessened over the years. I do recommend the shot

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 38

No, had the old shot and had eye had problems, and my husband did too. Why would you give someone a vaccine knowing it could hurt their eyes? That is crazy. Dianna Blumrick 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 38

I have had the old shot and have had eye problems & so has my husband. If this the case, no I would not get the new shot. I think you are crazy to even suggest that we do. Dianna Blumrick 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 38
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 38

As a 68 yr old male, I definitly want a shingles vacsination.  I watch my mom go through her bout with shingles and I want no part of this virus.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 38

I had the vaccine Zoster some yrs ago. It was covered by medicare the. Is this "new" vaccine taken care of by Medicare????