Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Retired Community Manager

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

The FDA recently approved a [new] shingles vaccine. Would you consider being vaccinated for shingles?

Contributor

I will talk to my physician 1st. If medicare does not cover it, then no, I will take my chances. Had zostafax yrs ago from my primary. So far so good. Too pricey. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

yes, I have only had the first shingles vaccine some years ago and didn't know there was a second, more affective one.
Trusted Social Butterfly

No, because I had shingles and it wasn't nearly as bad as depicted on TV.  The rash itched more than hurt, so I scratched it.  The worst part was muscle ache under the rash.  The TV commercials fail to mention the muscle aches.

Incidentally, I got shingles while I was out of vitamin C for a week and waiting to receive a mail order.  I had been taking 9 g./day in divided doses, since being a teenager.  I strongly believe that it wasn't a coincidence. 

Google:

shingles "vitamin c"

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Merck Admits Shingles Vaccine Can Cause Eye Damage…and Shingles

http://info.cmsri.org/the-driven-researcher-blog/merck-admits-shingles-vaccine-can-cause-eye-damage-...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

http://info.cmsri.org/the-driven-researcher-blog/merck-admits-shingles-vaccine-can-cause-eye-damage-...

That is about the OLD one, Zostavax.  

There is a new one called Shingrix and it is much, much better all the way around.

WebMD - New Shingles Vaccine

Of course, you or you and your doctor can make the decision.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

There is a new one called Shingrix and it is much, much better all the way around.

Merck said the "old one" Zostavax was safe and many people caught Shingles from the (expensive) vaccine they pushed. Careful with the new one also, since Merck obviously doesn't care about the reactions. BTW, I am a Merck stockholder and I wrote them (then) CEO (Richard Clark) a letter about the reactions - no answer!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@GailL1wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

Merck said the "old one" Zostavax was safe and many people caught Shingles from the (expensive) vaccine they pushed. Careful with the new one also, since Merck obviously doesn't care about the reactions. BTW, I am a Merck stockholder and I wrote them (then) CEO (Richard Clark) a letter about the reactions - no answer!

Yes, Zostavax was not completely effective but sometimes it was the result of how it was given.  Zostavax was a live vaccine and thus had to be stored at a specific temp in refrig. and then given when it reached a specific temp.  It was also suppose to be given sub-Q.  Many places did not give it correctly and of course, most patients didn't know the difference.

Shingrix, the new shingles vaccine, is not a live virus and has been shown to be much more effective.

Shringrix is not made by Merck, it is make by GSK, GlaxoSmithKline, a British pharmaceutical company.

Contributor

Yes

Periodic Contributor

does Medicare cover this vaccine?
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, father had shingles and I've had cp and measles. I currently have prugia nodularis, which is very painful (skin lesions). Would take but last time I looked, it was over $200.

Contributor

Yes..

I have a compromised immune system and I am not able to take the previous shingles vaccine. Would I be able to take this new one?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@bc53421184 wrote:

I have a compromised immune system and I am not able to take the previous shingles vaccine. Would I be able to take this new one?

The new one (Shingrix) is not a live vaccine like Zostavax (older one).  So maybe, talk to your doctor.

0 Kudos

No, had the old shot and had eye had problems, and my husband did too. Why would you give someone a vaccine knowing it could hurt their eyes? That is crazy. Dianna Blumrick 

0 Kudos

I have had the old shot and have had eye problems & so has my husband. If this the case, no I would not get the new shot. I think you are crazy to even suggest that we do. Dianna Blumrick 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Shingle shots are not recommended for anyone who has had chemo or has an auto-immune disease.  I have had chemo plud an auto-immune disease.

I had the shingles in May 2002, was left with post ther-petic neuralgia. The pain 

has not lessened over the years. I do recommend the shot

Contributor

As a 68 yr old male, I definitly want a shingles vacsination.  I watch my mom go through her bout with shingles and I want no part of this virus.

Contributor

I had the vaccine Zoster some yrs ago. It was covered by medicare the. Is this "new" vaccine taken care of by Medicare????

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, but the two injections are not covered by my Medicare part D plan. 

At Wal-Mart Pharmacy there is a waiting list and the cost for each shot is 

$162 which totals $324. Very expensive for a fixed income.

Periodic Contributor

Most definitely.  I was vaccinated several years ago but definitely want the new vaccine.  My mother and my son had shingles.  I will do everything I can to keep from getting it.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I want to have the new shot.

@AARPLynne wrote:

The FDA recently approved a [new] shingles vaccine. Would you consider being vaccinated for shingles?yrs

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes. My husband and I are waiting for the vaccine to be available. He is 75 and I am 73. No way do we want shingles.

Regular Contributor

No my doctor still says NO.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I would!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes I would. Thank you.
Contributor

YES!!! I am so happy they lowered the age to 50, thank God! I am 53 and have several other chronic conditions so getting shingles on top of those would probably put me in my grave

Regular Contributor

Yes

0 Kudos
Contributor

My son is only 42 and has been diaginoused with shingles.  He gets it at least once a year for the last 3 years with no relief.  They say once you have had it, that the vaccine is no good....besides the fact that he is so young.  Is there anything in the works or system that can help him?  He has two young children and, of course, is still working.  He gets so miserable!  The only things my He has found that gives him so relief is to ice it.  And he has to be home to do that and it doesn’t last long.  As a mom, I would do anything to try and help him.

0 Kudos
Contributor

If a person has already had a case of shingles,  should they take the vaccine? 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP