Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What do you do for your menopause symptoms?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What do you do for your menopause symptoms?

Have you found things to help with sleep loss, hot flashes, weight gain?  Have you experienced any of or all of these symptoms?

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

Advice don't waste anytime, get to your doctor and let him prescribe you some hormonal balance pills.  Mine are green and I love them.  Without taking the pill, I don't know what to eat, I don't know what to put on my salad, I can't sleep, hot flashes, etc. etc.  I speak what's on my mind without thinking, even negative, .......but with the pill everything is kosher.  Yes do it without delay, talk to  your doctor, don't wait around for the symptoms to become bigger, it is not worth it, get yourself some medication. 

Regular Contributor

I agree on the onward and forward thinking myself!  🙂  

I have been with hot flashes since I was 44, and I am 56 now. I really hope I am not one of those cases like my doctor says, there are apparantly some women that experience hot flashes the rest of their lives.  Lord, please don't let that be my case.

Periodic Contributor

The hot flashes might not be menopause. I suggest seeing an endocrinologist for further testing. 10+ doctors told me it was menopause related. I insisted it was not, and finally found a doctor who believed me.
Contributor

...that would be ME, 65 and flashing for the past 12 years.  I have gone down every avenue looking for relief from short term HT to herbal remedies to food and beverage elimination and supplimentation.  Naturopathic doctor recommended PhytoB, OTC plant based suppliment.  It worked!!!  Thus, it was removed from the market and put many women back into hotflash/nightsweats hell. 

Regular Contributor

Removed from the market? Poop! Are you flashing again??
Regular Contributor

It is more what haven't I done to try to get rid of hot flashes!  I even went as far as to go on hormone therapy for a while, several years ago.  After about a year or two of that, and still having a few hot flashes a day, I decided to stop that.  I was sure if I lost weight it would help, and I am now down to a healthy weight (lost 55 pounds), and still have hot flashes!  I mainly get them when I get stressed, drink any alcohol, or eat hot foods, which is an improvement over having them constantly for no reason at all, but still!. I have tried all the usual herbal remedies and even black liquorice (which I hate!), and nothing has worked.  I have had it for about 12 years now, with no end in sight.  Ugh!

Trusted Contributor

Black Cohosh is great for hormone balance. it's a herb. You can find it in supplement formulations specific to menopause.
Periodic Contributor

I had the same problems with stress and hot food - 24 hours a day. I suggest seeing an endocrinologist for further testing. It may not be menopause related. Mine was not (despite what 10+ doctors said, and I disputed)
Regular Contributor

Was the endocrinologist able to help you? What were their findings? I saw my doctor a couple of days ago and she agreed to prescribe a small dose of Clonidine for me to take daily. She knew all about that study they had done on it; the study was like 30 years ago, and she said the medicine is no longer used for blood pressure because it only lasts about 2 hours and one would have to take multiple pills a day. However, it is still available so she prescribed a very low dose and warned me my BP might go down very low for 2 hours and to be aware. I have to pick up the Rx today, and will start it tomorrow morning. We will see. (fingers crossed).
Contributor

My doctor told me that a lot of patients told him that smoking weed or pot pills helped their hot flashes tremendously - so I tried it and it's just been unbelievable!! I went from 40 major hot flashes a day to some days NONE at all and at the very most 5 and they are much lighter and go away faster - incredible! Give it a try!

I'm passed this point, thank goodness, but knew I didn't want hormone replacement therapy (too risky), read 4 books by natural

paths - they all recommended don quai, soy and black cohosh, but in what amounts?

Well didn't go into it kicking and fighting, accepted it as part of nature (mindset) and started on a wonderful line of supplementation, basic vitamins and minerals. I breezed through menopause, one hot flash, no moodswings, continued to love life.  I feel my mindset and the supplements, allowing my body to work as it should and getting the nutrition it needed, made all the difference in my easing through this new stage of my life.  

Regular Contributor

I am a regular pot smoker.  It definitely helps with anxiety, but really does nothing for my hot flashes.  :o(

Trusted Contributor

I have been taking some Natural herbal Menopause vitamins. The prime ingredients are herbs like Black Cohosh, and ashwagandah root and then zinc and copper. It's something thats been used for a long time. I take 2 pills a day, to help with the hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings.

The one I get is called "Megapause". I order it on amzn.

On the smoking side, I would recommend Vitamin C, since smoking a cigarette depeltes about 75mg of C. Take 1,000-2,000mg per day and this will help restore at least some of the nutrient loss.

It's a journey, all of us ladies must go through it. It's not forever!

Contributor

Sorry to hear that my suggestion didn't work for you - I hadn't smoked pot since my 20's - Dr knew how much I suffered and for now 8 years I've had hot flashes - I'm in my late 50's just started smoking weeds this year - maybe that's why it worked for me - don't know - all I know is if I forget to smoke - I'm back to severe hot flashes and several of them - my Husband always says - did you smoke?
Honored Social Butterfly

I must have been very lucky not to experiencing any symptoms of menopause. And it's probably just as well, because any hormones I would have taken might have exacerbated the breast cancer I wound up with at 62!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Social Butterfly

Yes, I've found lots of things that help with my weight gain. In fact, pretty much everything I do helps me to gain weight Smiley Tongue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP