Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Stunner: Exercise Helps People With Heart Disease

Message 1 of 12

Community member, @roberts258723 , found these videos showing exercises specifically for people who have had heart attacks.  

This is an amply illustrated articel abut post-heart attack exercises: https://www.wikihow.com/Exercise-After-a-Heart-Attack

This Web MD piece on the subject of Cardiac Rehabilitation Exercises isn't illustrated: https://www.webmd.com/heart/exercise-and-cardiac-rehabilitation

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 12

@GailL1  Right.

This of course, goes without saying for any exercise or diet program one is considering.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 12

Just a small CAUTION here -

People, especially those with heart disease need to check with their doctor on the type and amount of exercise before beginning.

Some heart diseases have extreme restrictions on exercise.  In fact, exercise or even too much activity could produce very adverse consequences.  Forms of Cardiomyopathy come to mind and stands out.

Heart disease covers a big umbrella and they are different in what might help and what might be a death sentence.

Just check with you ur doc before beginning just to make sure what you want to do is within an acceptable range or not of your heart disease condition.

Message 4 of 12

roberts258723 wrote:

I have viewed the YouTube Website and there are multiple exercise videos

For example: A Video on how to prevent falling over

From what I can tell the Videos are free

Remember 

Good Regular Exercise helps our bodies and minds stay strong and resilient

Hi @roberts258723  Yes, agreed, YouTube is a fantastic resource.  Of course there's plenty of junk there as well. Can you post informative YouTube videos to this topic (thread) about how exercise helps reduce risk for those with heart disease? 

Gold Conversationalist

Message 5 of 12

I have viewed the YouTube Website and there are multiple exercise videos

For example: A Video on how to prevent falling over

From what I can tell the Videos are free

Remember 

Good Regular Exercise helps our bodies and minds stay strong and resilient

Message 6 of 12

Happy to hear it, @d530350r . Keep up the good work! Smiley Happy

I had and EKG last year: perfectly normal.  A scan (I forget what they call it when they scan your neck) showed no blockage. Can't be too careful. 

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 12

My grandfather and his father both died of heart attacks in their 50's. I get an EKG every year now and do a heart scan every 5 years. So far no problems.....

Message 8 of 12

MaVolta wrote:

Both of my parents had heart disease, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. This was mostly due to a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits (chicken fried everything, lots of meat, potatoes, gravy). However, I can't rule out that genetics might also be a contributing factor.

I've always been fairly active, though I don't always get my full exercise time in that I should. I'm working on that. I changed over to a Mediterranean diet, sans meat, but a lot of fish instead. The heart is a muscle, and it needs to be exercised like any other muscle. At least that's what the experts all say. I try to at least get a 10 minute cardio workout, if all else fails! 

Also, I read somewhere that sitting is the new smoking. Many have given up smoking, but in general, Americans are more likely to be sitting themselves to death. 

@MaVolta  Good for you!  

I hear ya: lots of things compete for our time and attention. It's not always easy to juggle. 

Dad's early demise was mostly his own doing, too. A lifelong chain smoker, heavy drinker, ridiculously bad eater (though he did instill healthy eating habits in me ... ye olde 'do what I say, not what I do' temperment) and all-around unhappy, miserable sot. Part of that attitude found him after his father abandoned the family and pig farm in the 30s. So that was the source of his pain, but still, he consistently made bad choices ... and they caught up with him. Smiley Sad

The good news: I was treated to a front row view of what absolutely doesn't work if healthy living is the goal. Smiley Happy

So yah, I have a slight heart murmur (sloppy valve) but take that puppy up to racing (if not quite gasping) every day. (After checking with two doctors about the wisdom of that behavior).

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 12

Both of my parents had heart disease, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. This was mostly due to a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits (chicken fried everything, lots of meat, potatoes, gravy). However, I can't rule out that genetics might also be a contributing factor.

I've always been fairly active, though I don't always get my full exercise time in that I should. I'm working on that. I changed over to a Mediterranean diet, sans meat, but a lot of fish instead. The heart is a muscle, and it needs to be exercised like any other muscle. At least that's what the experts all say. I try to at least get a 10 minute cardio workout, if all else fails! 

Also, I read somewhere that sitting is the new smoking. Many have given up smoking, but in general, Americans are more likely to be sitting themselves to death. 

Message 10 of 12

Who here exercises daily to keep heart disease at bay?

I do. My father had a fatal heart attack when I was in my 30s.