The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly

Re: I Know You Love Me, Now Let Me Die

Message 1 of 4 (705 Views)

Excellent article NYADRN.  Am 100% in agreement.

Stop the Madness - Indeed!!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4 (707 Views)

Agreed: this is an important task.  Smiley Happy

We have our end of life paperwork all taken care of. Spelling it out ahead of time, and when involved persons are rational, is a huge gift to whosoever has to facilitate accordingly.  

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 3 of 4 (718 Views)

From the article:

"Nearly 50 percent of the elderly U.S. population now die in nursing homes or hospitals. When they do finally pass, they are often surrounded by teams of us doctors and nurses, medical students, respiratory therapists and countless other health care providers pounding on their chests, breaking their ribs, burrowing large IV lines into burned-out veins and plunging tubes into swollen and bleeding airways."

I thought this was a really good article. I agree with it.  I have made my decisions and signed the papers.  If you have not you might want to ask yourself why not and wonder if you should.  

Anyone else?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

I Know You Love Me, Now Let Me Die

Message 4 of 4 (721 Views)

A physician laments the often-excessive care of older adults at the end of life

In the old days, she would be propped up on a comfy pillow, in fresh cleaned sheets under the corner window where she would, in days gone past, watch her children play. Soup would boil on the stove just in case she felt like a sip or two. Perhaps the radio softly played Al Jolson or Glenn Miller, flowers sat on the nightstand, and family quietly came and went.

These were her last days. Spent with familiar sounds, in a familiar room, with familiar smells that gave her a final chance to summon memories that will help carry her away. 

She might have offered a hint of a smile or a soft squeeze of the hand but it was all right if she didn’t. She lost her own words to tell us that it’s OK to just let her die, but she trusted us to be her voice and we took that trust to heart.

You see, that’s how she used to die. We saw our elderly different then.

https://www.facebook.com/NextAvenue/posts/1465248366871199

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith