Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Health

Community Manager
AARPTeri

How do you feel about the changing of Blood Pressure guidelines?

Do you think it is okay to change these guidelines or is there a bigger risk involved?  Do you suffer from high blood pressure?

AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Prosecco62
Topics: 14
Kudos: 3,860

Re: How do you feel about the changing of Blood Pressure guidelines?

[ Edited ]

It would be interesting to note what the new parameters for treatment of hypertension are before making a decision on this.  Here's one article and there are more circulating out there.

http://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20131218hypertensiongdln.html

I think the professional juries are still out as to whether to endorse the new guidelines or not.  It's really not for us to say as laymen but any changes should be individually patient-based.  Those of us with severe hypertension are probably not going to be affected because it won't change our medication regimen.

I do think it's interesting to note that the AAFP and the Heart Association are not advocating the change in guidelines yet.  The AAFP will apply it's own testing methods prior to making a decision and the Heart Association continues to endorse the guidelines already established for treatment of hypertension.

~  Mimi

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
patti16

I don't think the guidelines should be change its not one size fit all more research needs to be done.
Please use plain text.
Regular Social Butterfly
MichaelSpitzer

[ Edited ]

I am personally highly suspect of the timing we see with all the "new guidelines" for health screening coming out in general.

We see new guidelines advising less frequent testing for mammograms, PSA-prostate, different BP guidelines, etc..etc...etc....

All of these reduced testings coming at the same time as the USA is trying to revamp its healthcare system.

I have some suspicion cost savings are more at play here than real medical or scientific findings intended to improve the accuracy of spotting illness.

This way, when more and more people are gradually shifted to a system managed by the central government, they can show reduced costs in the system ......... with all this reduced monitoring helping to reduce the costs of course.

The same kind of thing is going on in the corproate world
- We now have lots of Pharmaceutical companies buying up all the health food, natural and supplement companies.
Some say it is to diversify their business portfolios ---- owning both the medical and natural sides of the business.
Others fear it is a way to eliminate competition and force people to depend more on medicines to cure ilnnes instead of preventative healthly lifestyle choices to prevent illness.
I suppose either theory has valid points.

Michael Spitzer - Author - FITNESS AT 40,50,60 AND BEYOND

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
cbates51

I am a 63 year old African-American female and have suffered with high blood pressure since my pregnancy with my son in 1982. Heredity, as well as lifestyle, has played a role in my condition. My father and his mother both had high blood pressure. I think the guidelines should be set according to age, ethnicity, and lifestyle, not just a general formula for everyone. It's time for the medical world to pay attention to these differences!

Lou

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
mommadoke56

I am not willing to risk my life waiting for them to work the bugs out of the new protocol.  The old guidelines work.  I trust my doctor but i research things for myself.  Never leave ur health to anyone totally. Except, Jesus.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
phylaz60

I think alot of doctors these days are nothing more than legal pill pushers, putting people on medications, before trying alternative methods.  I tend to agree with the new guidelines, most medications out there have alist of side effects as long as both my arms and legs, how odd is it

that statins are proven to bring on diabetes type II ?  This way now your on 2 maintenance drugs.

Then the doctor gets to see twice as often...bilking your  insurance.

Please use plain text.