Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

High Protein Diets Do Not Lower Blood Sugar

Honored Social Butterfly

High Protein Diets Do Not Lower Blood Sugar

vegan protein sources.jpg 

A major benefit of losing excess weight is that it lowers high blood sugar levels to reduce your chances of becoming diabetic and suffering a heart attack. However, high-protein diets such as Atkins, Dukan or Paleo do not lower blood sugar levels as much as normal-protein diets do and therefore do not prevent diabetes as effectively as diets that are not high in protein (Evid Based Med, 2013;18(4):e37).

The findings: 

• weight lost while eating moderate amounts of protein makes your cells more sensitive to insulin and therefore insulin becomes more effective in lowering high blood sugar levels, while
• weight lost on a high-protein diet does not improve insulin sensitivity.

In this study, 34 obese, non-diabetic women, 50 to 65 years old, were assigned to three groups:
1) A weight-loss diet with a moderate daily protein intake of 0.8 grams/kg body weight
2) A high-protein weight-loss diet with 50 percent extra protein
3) A control group that was told not to change their existing diet.

functional-foods-protein.jpg

After 28 weeks, both weight-loss groups had lost about 10 percent of their body weight. The women on the high-protein diet had no improvement in their sensitivity to insulin, while the moderate-protein group had a 25-30 percent improvement in their sensitivity. This much improvement markedly reduces risks for diabetes, heart attacks and kidney damage. The results were surprising because getting rid of fat almost always improves insulin sensitivity, but the high-protein diet did not improve insulin sensitivity even a little bit.

Read all about it: http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/high-protein-diets-do-not-lower-blood-sugar.html

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Periodic Contributor

Excellent, not only do high protein diets not work, they are outright dangerous. That much is now proven science. The latest is in Dr. Neal Barnard's recent book Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, which has all the latest research, documenting that a whole foods, plant-based diet performs 3x better than an ADA diet for diabetics. Case closed.

Rogier F. van Vlissingen
Periodic Contributor

Eating a high-starch eating regimen makes individuals "fat" since sugars increment blood glucose levels, causing a more prominent arrival of insulin, and higher insulin levels make carb be put away effortlessly as fat. Eating a high-protein eating regimen prompts weight reduction, diminished insulin levels, and enhanced glycemia.

thats what i understand but they say that green tea can help lower blood sugar. but now they say that a new tea is making a daybue that is better than green tea called red tea found hear what do you think https:// /5942dds-7gzds-nkr913pnbn1u.hop.clickbank.net.

Trusted Social Butterfly

The study is suspect because it doesn't specify the method of measurement of blood glucose.  I would accept HbA1C but not fasting glucose levels.

Honored Social Butterfly

where-do-you-get-your-protein.jpg

I think it's easy to replace carbs with protein. We've really had to be mindful this summer as we worked to reduce DH's carbs that we didn't overdo it on protein.

Do you have any tips to share on how to keep a blood sugar-managing diet in check?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

This meme (seen on a health guru's Twitter page) briefly explains the process we used this summer to reduce DH's (and a friend's) insulin resistance. Me, I followed the diet to keep the peace. I didn't have a blood sugar issue. But of course, I benefitted as switching up my diet this way, while also increasing the intensity of my workout, helped me shape up.

how to minimize insulin resistance.jpg

Regular Contributor

Hi, Epster 🙂

I have taken my entire family and reduced carbs to under 30 a day and it seems to be working wonders on my blood sugar levels, plus, we are all slowly losing weight and feeling more alive 🙂 Our protein intake is not too high as I agree with that fact and you can get a lot of what you need from vegetables 🙂 

Thanks for sharing, sharing is caring 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi @BronwynM413834  Wowzers! Under 30 a day! That must be AMDR (percent) rather than RDA (grams), yes? DH, a competitive cyclist with 11 gold medals (so: a serious athlete), keeps his daily carb intake around 170g a day, (he uses the RDA). Either way, it takes some work to reduce carbs! Home cooking, lots of veggies, lots of care and attention have been key for us. Kudos to you and your family for finding the carb level that works for you!

For anyone wondering about the difference between AMDR and RDA (specifically for carbs), here's a snippet from this Livestrong article: https://www.livestrong.com/article/512044-normal-carbohydrate-intake-per-day

"Normal Carbohydrate Intake per Day for Good Health

The smallest amount of carbohydrate you should consume each day -- 130 grams -- is the recommended dietary allowance established by the Institute of Medicine. The institute reports that this amount is based on the fact that carbs are the primary energy source for the brain. In other words, 130 grams keeps you alive but isn't necessarily ideal for peak health or an active lifestyle. In addition to lacking glucose for your daily activity, a limit of 130 grams means you’re probably not eating enough food to get all the nutrients you need from healthy complex carbohydrates.

The Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range, or AMDR, defines the normal carb intake as determined by the Institute of Medicine. It recommends getting 45 to 65 percent of your total daily calories from energy-providing carbohydrates. The lower amount ensures your diet includes a healthy proportion of carbs, fats and protein. The upper amount prevents overconsumption that could lead to weight gain and chronic diseases such as diabetes. You can use the range to choose the amount of carbohydrate that’s appropriate for your activity level."

Good health to you and yours!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP