Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Hearing Loss and the Holidays

Message 1 of 12
For many people with hearing loss, holidays can be especially difficult. While large family gatherings offer a great opportunity to catch up with friends and family, parties can lead to difficult listening situations for people with hearing loss.

Here are some tips so that people with hearing loss can enjoy the holidays better.
ecembrinas parties and hearing loss: The councils
Find a quiet place - Stay away from loudspeakers or noisy kitchens and stay in the quietest area of ​​the room. This way you can hear conversations instead of noise.

Choose your seat - If you are going to have a dinner, choose a seat in the center of the table closest to a relative or close friend. This way you will have a greater opportunity to listen to conversations and enjoy your meal.

Choose your drink: a glass of wine can make you feel more relaxed, or it can even confuse you and make your level of understanding worse. You must be aware of what you are going to drink and your own level of tolerance.

A friend - Find a friend or relative to be with during the entire meeting. This person can help the person feel more included in the conversation and can repeat things that he can not understand. Read Full article -
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/shari-eberts/hearing-loss-holidays_b_13653818.html
and another article - http://www.betterhearingcenters.org/better-hearing-tips/hearing-loss-kentucky/
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 12
Somewhere around 2003 the Veterans Administration changed the criteria for - at least - service-connected hearing lost from "must be proven" to "more likely than not," resulting in eligibility for benefits for a number of veterans who incurred hearing loss as a result of military service. An astute VA Representative who became aware of my hearing problems with my government job helped me apply for benefits, and I was found to have an 80% bilateral hearing loss, most likely resulting from my exposure to cannon fire in the military. The pension is small - it is only a 20% disability - but the VA-provided hearing testing and hearing aids are excellent. I'm sorry that my father, a tank commander in France and Germany in WWII, did not receive any attention or benefits for his nearly total loss of hearing resulting from his service and handicapping him for the rest of his life.
I had hearing aids long before I received benefits, mainly because my wife and son noted the problem early and were pleasantly insistent that I do something about it to avoid the nearly inevitable withdrawal that accompanies severe hearing loss. They were aware, early on, that talking louder does not help hard-of-hearing people hear any better, and pushed me lovingly but firmly into seeking medical help.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 12
With the recommended restrictions on cleaning your ears, there are still ways to avoid hearing losses. Rock stars used to discus the high volume damages from the premise that this was the only way the particular form was to succeed. So, a Heretic from the Dark Side of the Moon in the audience said that this dirt backstage would work. When they drop the hanky on the microphone, your extra large foot locker with your certified typewriter ink is dropped into a foxhole, before your ticker tape parade welcome for the homecoming queen.
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 12

This will be the first time in many years that I will be able to hear out of both ears.  I got a cochlear implant on the left side last year and one on the right side this year.  It is so nice to be able to hear friends at home or in gatherings.  It has made a huge difference in my life.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 12

In any kind of crowd ( movies, tv, radios etc. I have to lean my head to the left to hear and understand

what is being said. I have had two operations ( that have not helped) as well as the newest hearing

aids.Nothing works.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 12

I was diagnosed with a hearing impairment a number of years ago.  Since my right ear is normal, I can generally manage.  However, when I am driving and I hear a siren, I can't identify from which direction the sound is coming so that's a problem. The other problem is when people speak softly without looking at me.  At least when they look at me, I have a chance to watch their lips move.  Also, in a noisy environment (i.e. with music playing or people talking) it's hard to hear what the person addressing me is saying.  That's why I prefer quiet rooms, which I guess is not in keeping with the holiday spirit.  I do have a hearing aid for my left ear but I generally don't use it because in the situations described above, it doesn't help enough and it irritates my skin (the thin wire sits on top of my ear and my skin is very sensitive).  I used to love celebrating special occasions by going to see muscical theatrical productions.  However, I now find that the music drowns out the speaking or singing so I can't make out the words.  I wind up not understanding what's going on, therefore not enjoying myself.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 7 of 12
Great to hear your hubby is now hearing. I have two hearing aids and don't know how I got by without them. I kept telling my wife to quit mumbling and to speak up. I told my doctor about ten or more years ago I had trouble hearing women speak, but after looking in my ears,he told me there was nothing wrong with my hearing. I never took further action.

Costco was offering free hearing tests, so I took one. The lady told me I had 30 percent loss in both ears, but if I got a hearing aid, I would probably throw it in a drawer and forget about it.

My wife worked with a woman who had a cochlear implant, and she gave my wife information for a hearing clinic in Los Angeles, so I set up an appointment and got retested. It turned out my hearing loss was closer to 40-50 percent. I have neurosensory hearing loss, in the high frequency range, and it would have only gotten worse. I now have two small hearing aids and love them. I am able to hear my grandchildren and women. Sometimes they are a pain, like when I drive with the windows open or in a very loud environment. I have to adjust them up or down sometimes, but at least I can hear now without asking everyone to repeat themselves. They have also helped my balance.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 12

WOW, that he waited that long to get the 2nd one.  Sometimes I think married is a problem for those with fading hearing.  I'm divorced myself and felt to isolated as my hearing deteriorated.  

I got my CI 2 1/2 yrs ago and it's helped a lot, but I can no longer hear music well enough to even tell what song it is unless it has a unique something to it like 'Shout' which I danced well to at my class reunion.

My sister just got hers this past year and got the newest model.  She can hear music just fine, as do others who I've seen write that they have the newest one.  So I emailed my audi to find out if MediCare will pay any part of the newer version.  She told me that they pay for the upgrade every 5 years.  Needless to say I'm counting the days until I can get what will probably be even newer that what my sister has.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 12
Great advice about the insurance coverage. I have hearing loss and bad Tinnitis in one ear. My husband has hearing loss in both ears. Our insurance completely covered mine. It's a top of the line Bluetooth compatible device. The moment she put it in, the ringing went away!! I couldn't believe it!! Peace and quiet for the first time in years!! It also has an iPhone or android app for adjustments and tracking in case you misplace it!
Our insurance covered one of my husband's, the same type, but we had to pay for the other one. And yes, Carecredit was a great resource for this too!! We are no longer saying "what??" And folks don't think my husband is ignoring them anymore!!
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 12

Yes my husband kept saying I didn't talk loud enough, then he couldn't hear on the phone, he started turning the TV up real loud, then he talked extra loud himself, he did have one hearing aid in his left ear but still didn't hear all that good, so a friend suggested looking into a cochlear implant, took a while to get everything done, but in Sept. of this year they put the cochlear implant in his right side where he couldn't hear anything  even could not get a hearing aid, cause the hearing was deaf they said,  On Oct. they activated his cochlear implant and he is hearing great now, still wears his hearing aid in

his left ear, but a relief for me too, cause I had to write everything down for him before now I can throw my paper and pencil away.  And he is not talking LOUD anymore,  Thanks be to God and the one

who made the cochlear implant.