Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Even WITH an Advance Health Care Directive, things don't go well

Message 1 of 6 (268 Views)

@GailL1 - You're absolutely right, but organizations like C&C know that it's hard enough to get laws past this way. Even if a person is very detailed about what they want while they are competent, some people are afraid that they may change their minds w/o updating paperwork, but relatives would push them thru with it. I think that's ridiculous; and very religious people are against any assisted suicide. It may not be nice, but I always wish that they get lots of first hand experience watching a loved one die slowly like that.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 6 (282 Views)

@ReTiReD51

Well I guess the Courts are the way to go - 

That or I find another way - which I think I could find.

But isn't it a shame that this ultimate right is denied us - There is no reason why this could not be preplanned based on quality of life markers.

All that death panel stuff was just to rile up the natives against O'care

The counseling is in place for Medicare beneficiaries for a couple of years - wow, I already had mine and had to file out a form that I understood it.   I believe I read something like 500,000 were counseled since then.

But that only solves some of the problems.

Actually I kind of thought that the death panel hoopla was about the IPBA.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6 (292 Views)

As long as you have a Republican majority in a State or Federal legislature I don’t think you’ll see any legislation that would allow physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients.

Don’t take me wrong that I think democrats would be eager to pull the plug on terminally ill patients or that republicans are cruel to prolong the life of terminally ill patients. I simply believe you would get a lot of opposition from the evangelical voters who tend to vote republican and for that reason physician assisted deaths would be tough to become legalized.

Remember when Sarah Palin and the tea party referred to section 1233, under the affordable care act as “Obama’s death panels”.
Section 1233, “Advance Care Planning Consultation”, authorized Doctors to be paid for end of life counseling helping patients to understand when medicine has no more miracles to offer and when prolonging suffering is not merciful to anyone.

The religious right doesn’t understand that dignity of death means nothing if you can’t control your own life.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6 (300 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Support "Compassion & Choices": https://www.compassionandchoices.org/tell-congress-support-aid-in-dying/?s_src=20160307_oa_b_xx_dwd_...

Thank you for the link, ASTRAEA

However, there is one small problem with the current aid in dying laws and it is the same with this organization.

That is, it requires the beneficiary to be mentally competent.  We should be able to add such a directive for compassionate dying to our pre-planned desires with specific quality of life markers.

What we have now in the few states which have such provisions and what this organization is supporting would do nothing for the woman in the article because she is not mentally competent to request such compassion.

I do not think that just lingering with no hope, just waiting for death, for as long as it takes - days, weeks, YEARS, is actually living but no law currently in existence here in the US gives us the right to determine when our live is over, in advance planning.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6 (310 Views)

Support "Compassion & Choices": https://www.compassionandchoices.org/tell-congress-support-aid-in-dying/?s_src=20160307_oa_b_xx_dwd_...

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Even WITH an Advance Health Care Directive, things don't go well

Message 6 of 6 (326 Views)

Well, I guess I will be adding some fine details to my health care directive.

Honestly, if a person cannot request some type of humane aid in dying when their quality of life is nil - then what rights do we really have at all.  This is the ultimate choice of an individual.  

Perhaps we need to go to court now rather than waiting until it ends up in court at the end.

I WANT MY CHOICE - what about you?

KHN 08/21/2017!-'Despite Advance Directive, Dementia Patient Denied Last Wish, says Spouse