Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Dry Needling

Any experiences or opinions on Dry Needling. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Tempest332 , I am TOO LAZY to Google it - what is it?  🤔

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Any experiences or opinions on Dry Needling. ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

To me it sounds like acupuncture, but not it's not acupuncture.  

From Healthline:

If you only compared dry needling and acupuncture with a photo, you might be stumped to identify each. Both acupuncture and dry needling use thin, stainless steel needles. For both practices, needles are inserted into the skin and both also claim to treat pain.

That’s where the similarities end. Unique qualities help differentiate the two. One practice has been used for thousands of years in traditional Chinese medicine and has some solid research supporting its effectiveness. The other’s been adopted in the last couple of decades.

Practitioners place the needles in “trigger points” in your muscle or tissue. Dry needling is also sometimes called intramuscular stimulation. The points are areas of knotted or hard muscle.

Dry needling practitioners say the needle helps release the knot and relieve any muscle pain or spasms. The needles will remain in your skin for a short period of time. The length of time depends on the practitioner.

I had dry needling done by a physical therapist for a painful foot condition. It was useless. Then I had acupuncture done. It worked so well I didn't need a repeat treatment for 3 years! That's just my anecdotal experience, for what it's worth.

Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you for your opinion, the PT backed off the dry needling, as my PT has ended with a series of exercises to do to strengthen areas .... I just have to be proactive.   Meanwhile my PCP said he wasn't familiar with dry needling & suggested acupuncture.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Tempest332 , so you will be doing acupuncture? 🤔

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I  really don't know, have a bit invested in the PT & really no improvement yet.  I'll speak with my PCP in a couple months again. 

Over the years, I wasn't one to be visiting doctors on a regular basis if at all... & now I know why. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP