Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Do you use earplugs? Have you?

Message 1 of 9 (5,601 Views)

I always keep my earplugs in my purse.  I like to use the soft, waxy kind, but don't make them too big--maybe the size of a pea.  If I don't use earplugs when I swim I always get water in my ears and it's a real pain to hear for days on end.  Also, when I'm traveling I need them, keeps out the noise of everything when I need a good night sleep.  Love my earplugs!!

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 9 (7,521 Views)
I wear ear plugs at movies. I say if people want to hear the movies at such a ridiculous volume, give them head phones which allow them to listen to the movie as loud as they want
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 9 (8,034 Views)

I have always worn ear protection for concerts and other loud events like sports, shooting range, power tools and riding a motorcycle.  I also am mindful of not cranking up the volume of my music on my earphones or in my car.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 9 (8,186 Views)

When I'm mowing the lawn, using the chainsaw, leaf blower, pressure washer, or listerning to Mad Money with Jim Cramer on CNBC.  They're all extremely irritating and will cause permanent hearing loss.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 9 (9,069 Views)

I losted my hearing at a very early age- 50 years ago- and have suffered very severe tinnitus ever since. At times it is so distracting that I cannot concentrate or sleep. Constant loud, high-pitched whistle.

I now wear ear muffs and inserts (sometimes both if at the gun range) while mowing, using a chainsaw/power saw/other lawn equipment.

If you do not protect your hearing, you will be sorry- I sure am.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 9 (9,453 Views)
We wear them at concerts and movies. Why do they have to be so loud?
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 9 (9,800 Views)

I have always been sensitive to very loud noise. I used to go to concerts as a teen with tissue paper stuffed in my ears. I do worry now about ear phones and hearing loss. I love my MP3 player when I walk my dogs. But I do try to be aware at keeping the volume from being too loud.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 9 (9,811 Views)

Yes, I wear plugs for certain events with loud music. More importantly, I use ear muffs when running outdoor machinery: lawn mower, blower, string trimmer, chain saw..............

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Do you use earplugs? Have you?

Message 9 of 9 (9,826 Views)

The more articles on hearing loss, I realize I should be using ear plugs for certain events.  I noticed at a local pub with live music that the staff were wearing ear plugs and thought that was a great idea.  Have you worn them? 

With so much hearing loss caused by noise - maybe you should...

Article worth the read:

http://blog.aarp.org/2015/05/13/earplugs-that-let-in-the-good-block-the-bad/

AARPTeri