Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?  What is your experience, discuss with others here!

AARPTeri

I completely understand, I have had it most of my life and I am 57 years old and it seems to be getting worse. Wish they would find a cure, it can drive you crazy if you pay attention to it. Prayers 🙏🙏

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Please check out OTO 313. Trials going on-2nd phase.

0 Kudos
Contributor

What is OTO 313 trials? I have nerve damage and ringing in left ear

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

OTO 313 trials-Otonomy 313 is the website. It is a company working on a cure for tinnitus and are doing trials right now. Have already done the 1st phase. What a wonderful cure this would be.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

In my experience, people in general and doctors in particular make things up. I realized this rather young. 

STORY: When I was a parochial school girl, I got sick a lot, mostly bronchitis which continued until my dad stopped smoking when I was about 11. I must have been around 7 when I asked my doctor (who made house calls back then), why did my eczema always go away when I got sick and come back when I got better. He replied, "Maybe God doesn't want you to suffer too much." I remember he and my mother smiled smugly at each other. I didn't say anything but I remember thinking, "Just because I'm a kid, it doesn't mean I'm stupid." 

It took me to age 28 to realize that I was allergic to both wheat and dairy. I ate bread and milk at every meal, except when I was ill. Then it was water, apple juice, and clear soups. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I’ve read the same thing about the brains way of making up for loss of hearing frequencies. I believe there is going to be a cure very soon after the trials of OTO313 get through 

I suffer from tinnitus as well. Sometimes it takes me close to a hour to fall asleep. I’ve started taking Lipo Flavonoid Plus for Ear Ringing. Hoping it will provide some relief. At least it comes with a money-back guarantee. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since taking Lipo Flavonoid Plus have you gotten any relief for the ear ringing?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

No it didn't work for me. I'm sure now that weather changes are the primary aggrevater.  Nothing helps at all when it's at that level . Poor sleep comes in as a tie.  On those worse days I don't even leave the house. Try to stay as calm as I can. I've found that if I can hold on thru the worse day the next day will be better. definitely a weather change of some kind coming on also windy days bad. Tried yet again to use a hearing aid on the last worse day it might have helped. Its old battery type. I'm going to buy a rechargeable meaning yet another appt with an audiologist to get current levels. Then find a hearing aid provider that takes my insurance to save $. Just been putting it off .  It's a real time consuming process. But the lost days due to tinnitus are no good.  Thank you for the message. If you know of Anything please pass it on.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have had tinnitus for years. Nighttime is the hardest, but I am grateful that I do sleep. Did you have any luck with Lipo Flavonoid? It did nothing for me and I never did receive my refund. Hope you had better luck. I am going to see an ENT & will check out the OTO313 trial. I empathize with everyone who suffers with it.

Contributor

Does not seem to allow new comments - but I have tinnitus - bad - for over 10 years as a result of being hit in the head at close range by a golf ball.  The hideous noises I heard for a month or 2 after that were unreal - like machines, robots, jackhammers - when that finally subsided - just your normal ringing, hissing noises - it gets worse as the day progresses and sometimes drives me nuts but for the most part, have just learned to live with it. Also on allergy days, I think it is louder.   The doctor has no answers.  I am a singer so I used to get it occasionally after gigs - but THIS is for life now.  I tried the OTC things - useless.  I really wish modern science could find relief for all of us.  Take care peeps!

Regular Contributor

I know it is tough living with tinnitus. I have learned to live with it by trying to keep busy. I make sure to take my vitamin in the morning and get lots of sleep. I have been following the trial of OTO 313. They are in the 2nd half of trial. Hopefully they will find a remedy. You can go to the web site OTO 313.

Regular Contributor

Please keep me in mind if you read something new. I haven't been keeping up with the trials since personally giving  my name & number to a research person at PENTA about 2 months ago. Basically begging her not to forget about me since I didn't qualify for the trials. 🫤

0 Kudos

I've recognized my tinnitus only a few short years ago. I experience a hissing noise most of the time. when In quiet environments or when attempting sleep it changes to a chirping sound similar to numerous birds just inside my bedroom.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Does anyone have tinnitus that sounds like white noise?

Periodic Contributor

Yes, my tinnitus sounds like white noise, but it didn't when I first got the symptoms of Meniere's over 30 years ago. Then, I sometimes had tinnitus that sounded like a siren that would keep me awake all night! Going on a low sodium diet, and limiting or completely avoiding  caffeine and alcohol, plus getting hearing aids, helped to decrease my tinnitus. 

Honored Social Butterfly

WORTH THE READ - up-to-date 

NIH:  National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders:  TINNITUS

On the right side of the page there are news release links on research and any developments.

Find a cure for it and you will be. . . .  RICH . . . RICH . . . . RICH !!

Sometimes I would just settle for some relief !  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Regular Contributor

Gail I have adopted the Roseanne Roseannadanna way of thinking as much as I can. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello. Thanks for the info. I will read this.  I have mentioned to others that I fond downloading free white noise apps to my ipad and listening to it at bedtime seems to help me a lot. The pink noise really works best for me. There are many of these "maskers" that seem to help folks. Staying busy during the day also seems to help by distracting me. Anyway, good luck with this and if you do find a ure of hear of one, let the rest of us know as well. Wakter R

Honored Social Butterfly

Yep, I have used white noise for years - it nothing else it keeps your mind off of the orchestra.

On a lighter note - I bought a pair of earrings from an artist - there are silver strands of various elongated shapes hanging down from the main body.  When you move, they touch each other and give off a sound like wind chimes but very light - they actually act like white noise while I am out and about.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

I have had tinnitus for over 45 years. I have, at times, really suffered as the noise is very loud and NEVER stops. One thing I do to alleviate the noise is listening to music. I am 65 now and it seems to get worse as I age. Not only do I have the ringing, but I have also recently started noticing a noise as if I was standing under multiple power lines (hissing). I have learned to live with it but it still bothers me a lot. I also wear hearing aids. 

Regular Contributor

😞

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've had Tinnitus since March of 2008. In April 2017, I experienced SHLD-"Sudden Hearing Loss Disorder" One moment I experienced a loud tone in my right ear, then it was as if my ear was stopped up. After seeking help, there was nothing that made a difference. I too have hearing aids that can produce white noise. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.  To help with sleep, I've been taking Lorazepam (Ativan) an antianxiety medication related to Valium. It helps me sleep. I'm open to trying anything.

Periodic Contributor

Hello. Just read your concerns about Tinnitus. Since you have had Tinnitus longer than I, I am certain you probably are more versed in this than I.  But here is my two cents on how I am trying to deal with this, perhaps there is something you can use here I hope. I recently acquired Tinnitus 8 days (Apr 8, 2021) after my second Pfizer Vaccine Mar 30, 2021 I understand others have developed Tinnitus from the Vaccine as well.  So I am new to Tinnitus.   I did submit a VARES report to CDC and notified our local Health Department. They will have links for specific Tinnitus information.  The main things I found that helps me and is by no means a cure is:  Stay calm, Keep busy if you can. The White noise seems to be a big help especially the Pink noise for me. I downloaded a variety of free white noise sounds to my IPAD and set it near my pillow at night, this seems to over ride the internal noise we hear and helps me relax.  My audiologist says there is another free download of White noises that can be mixed and tailored specifically for everyone. Audiologists can also do this as well. I know the hearing aids with maskers (that have White noise built in) may helps some folks, but I do not think you can wear them at night and they can be costly and may not work.  I do take Lipo- flavonoids that my doctor seems to think it may just be a placebo or that it may or may not work. It is mostly B vitamins with their secret mixture. I seem to think it helps me a bit.  I am on my third bottle since April-can be pricey. You can get these OTC at Walgreens or Walmart or Amazon. My doctor prescribed  Hydroxyzine for me just one at bed time.  This helps me stay calm and get some sleep. I also leave our overhead fan on. I am an old Vet not a doctor but I would run your meds by your doctor. I have read that some anti depressants and anti anxiety med may cause and or make Tinnitus worse.  It is important to run this by your doctor. My ENT doctor said there was nothing fixable for me and turned me over to an audiologist, and he would see me in one year. Not much help there. There is a National Tinnitus Group you can find on line. Finally, a build up of  Ear wax on the ear drums can cause this problem as well.  My doctors cleaned the right ear and the noise actually stopped. He did not find wax on the left ear so he did nothing there and that is where the noise I hear now is mostly. I have also found the age can cause Tinnitus in which the ear bones Maleus, Incus, Stapes  stiffen and can cause this problems  In addition TMJ problems can also cause this. Sometime I use  ice or a heating pad over my ears and jaw and this seems to help a bit for me.  I have read that the auditory complex is integrated into the Temporal Lobe of the brain-so is this a brain problem? I need my doctor to clarify this for me. There are great articles on line . I specifically like Mayo Clinic information.   Tinnitus is a terrible problem and it is easier said than done but stay CALM and positive and follow your doctors directions. I just do not believe there is a cure yet but hopefully soon.  Hope we all get well soon.  Walter R

Bronze Conversationalist

As of October 2021, nearly 13,000 people have reported tinnitus (ringing in ear) as an adverse reaction to the COVID-19 vaccine, according to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). However, we know that only between  one and ten percent of vaccine injuries are reported to VAERS, so tinnitus is likely affecting between 130,000 and over a million people, many of whom will not make the connection or consider it a coincidence. It isn't. Teh CDC, FDA, and NIH, along with CNN and other major news networks, boycotted Sen. Ron Johnson's panel discussion on Nov. 2, 2021 that included testimonies from scientists, doctors, and victims of Covid vaccine injuries. It's easier to not listen than admit you made a mistake.   

Trying to shame people into not speaking about their experiences or punishing them for doing so is bullying behavior that guarantees more people will be injured. If you can't spare the two hours to listen to that hearing, listen to the testimony of the recent widow of Geoffrey Young about her reaction to the pro-vaccine bullying in light of the the death of her 45 year old FBI special agent who immediately sickened and died in her bed hours after receiving the Pfizer vaccine. 

Tinnitus: https://fpphysicaltherapy.com/covid-vaccine-tinnitus-ringing-ear-tinnitus/

and 

850k reports in VAERS: https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/vaers-cdc-adverse-events-deaths-covid-vaccines/

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Shame! There is NO EVIDENCE any of the COVID vaccines lead to tinnitus; your misinformation will draw attention away from a very important issue for we 70s-80s gen; many of us suffer tinnitus; and as much as we'd like to blame it on rock concerts 😉 I remember both my grandmothers saying they heard cicadas or crickets all the time. This needs research and treatment; you've got a gen on headphones; what happens when they reach my age and there's nothing to hear but insects?

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

"Six volunteers in J&J’s Phase 3 trial for its COVID-19 vaccine complained of tinnitus. FDA, however, concluded there was insufficient evidence to link the issue to the vaccine." However, there are several hundred reports in VAERS of tinnitus beginning within days or hours of getting the Covid vaccine. It may be a minority symptom, and certainly doesn't affect everyone this way, but denying it is real or that the evidence is insufficient isn't to anyone's benefit.  

I suggest you visit Childrens Health Defense dot org for the most comprehensive reporting of neuroinflammatory and other conditions reported after vaccination. I like the idea of a magic potion solution as well as the next person, but when we see such serious evidence of harm including heart attacks in teen agers, then I suggest that we really have to think twice about how decisions are being made, both in our own lives and on a national level. 

https://www.drugdiscoverytrends.com/researcher-neuroinflammation-may-be-behind-tinnitus-reports-in-s...

0 Kudos
Contributor

You say there's no proof that the vaccine causes tinnitus?  Well, apparently there is also no proof that it doesn't.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have had tinnitus for about 15 or more years now.  I thought for many years that maybe I had a bad habit of not paying close enough attention to what people were saying, because I just couldn’t seem to hear what a lot of people were saying, but then I started having major BPP vertigo & in the process of testing found out that I had a significant hearing loss as well as a balance issue on top of the vertigo.  I have no way of knowing for sure what caused them, but 1) a large portion of my dads family are either deaf or extremely hard of hearing, 2) I know that I had major falling issues as a young child, 3) I worked for a major airline dealing with aircraft engines, & 4) I was hit by my parents on or by my ears as punishment as a child, so any or all of those may play a part in my issues.  The tinnitus has gotten worse over the last couple years to where I have a difficult time being able to fall asleep at night.  I do have hearing aids & have had for about 3-1/2 years now, which did help for a while, but has become worse since I got them.  I am interested in the person that said magnesium supplements helped them, because I just recently started taking a 400 mg supplement myself for muscle spasms that are not caused by lack of potassium or electrolytes.  It will be interesting to see if it helps my tinnitus.  Thanks for everyone sharing their situation.

Regular Contributor

😞 

I take magnesium & vit B every day for supposed to help not get a migraine. I notice no difference  in tinnitus .

mine isn’t genetic no one had it in my family that I know of.

I love rock & went to some concerts back in the day but not enough to account for it 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP