Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?  What is your experience, discuss with others here!

AARPTeri
Contributor

Oh my yes!  I am constantly hearing music and "drone talking" where I can't make out words, so I express to others it sounds like a news channel but muffled. The music I hear I tend to make words go with it. My brain is trying to cover the noise but then all I get are high pitch 'needle stabs' going straight through my head.  I have given up on sound machines, low tone radio scratch and even hypnosis. None of those work for me.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am sorry to hear about your nasty tinnitus. Mine is usually a high pitch tone in my right ear. After almost 2 years I have some quiet days in between. I just has 3 quiet days, then loud today. I am following some trials for tinnitus with Otonomy 313. They will be having a meeting in June to discuss the results. You can Google the company. Some days are hard but try to sty busy.

0 Kudos
Contributor

i am finding that the best way to heal my bad leg is to not use it. i have been disabled since 2012. it was really hard to do. the doctor said some get in 2 years 5, 7 and never. what was so hard for me to learn is this that the muscles and bones were torn and the more when i use the muscle i am at risk of tearing these legiments in my leg even more. people are aware of how hard shoes on our feet are. you may not know it but they also do great damage to our leg even going on a walk to a store. i have been relying on the community more to help with services like laundry, shopping and mail orders. sometimes 1 lift can set you way back again.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I do not suffer from Tinnitus, but I came across this article whilel researching vitamins a few days ago.

There seens to be some pretty good advice in there.

To quote from the article:

The following tips may help lessen the severity of tinnitus:

• Avoid exposure to loud sounds and noises.

• Get your blood pressure checked. If it is high, get your clinician’s help to control it.
  • Decrease your intake of salt. Salt impairs blood circulation.
  • Avoid stimulants such as coffee, tea, cola and tobacco.
  • Exercise daily. It improves your circulation.
  • Get adequate rest.

Avoid fatigue.

• Stop worrying about the noise. Recognize your head noise as an annoyance and learn to ignore it as much as possible.

Here is the link to the whole article: http://www.pamelaegan.com/tinnitus/

Geaux Tigers!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I've had tinnitus since 1995.  My aural nerves were damaged by radiation therapy...I had brain cancer in 1995.  Until they know how to fix nerves, I'm stuck with it.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

😞

0 Kudos

Lipo flavonoid is an over the counter medicine that has been available for over 50 years. Try it it comes with a money back guarantee if not happy.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It doesn’t work

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

That's interesting.  Have you tried it, and if so, for how long?  I would love a simple solution!  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've had tinnitus for a couple years now. I find that Lipo flavonoid has helped lower the sound to a point that makes it tolerable. It took me a few weeks of taking L/F to notice the change. In addition the best method to lower the sound for me was to purchase a white noise machine with 12 different sound buttons to experiment with. The one I play at night with earbuds is "Rain Forest". You can adjust the sound up or down as needed. My machine is labeled with the Sharper Image logo. Anyway if I turn the volume up to equalize or slightly surpass the tinnitus noise it helps me sleep. In addition it provides relief during my awake hours without using any noise maker. It somewhat trains the brain to ignore or just accept the noise. 

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have had it for over a year. I believe it started after an ear infection when my ear was flushed about 15 times to removed wax. I had them stop because I was getting dizzy. Some days are good, and others are bad. Group on facebook... https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tinnitussupportgroup/

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

A doctor I had seen--maybe an ENT; it has been a while--had his nurse or tech to start that ear-flushing thing on me for ear wax removal, but I soon stopped her because it was painful.  I believe that method of ear wax removal is damaging, whereas careful, skillful use of the long ear wax removal tool does not cause pain.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I have had tinnitus for 35 years.  Its predominant frequency is 10 kHz..    Initially, I wasted a lot of money looking for a cure.  Now, I couldn't care less.  My only advice to you is to stop being desperate for a cure because you will eventually get used to it.  Too many people take advantage of needlessly desperate people.

Regular Contributor

Some days I feel like I’m getting used to it but not today 

0 Kudos
Contributor

To the person who posted a "Crybaby Button" -- that might have sounded (!) insensitive, but that advice is essentially what my audiologist told me. He said I should do my very best to ignore it, because it's in my brain not my ears, and dwelling on it may make it grow louder or at least seem louder.

My audiologist also said it's essentially my brain trying to hear something because there's not enough aural stimulation. (I live on a quiet street in the country.) He suggested some kind of background noise, like music. I can't say that has helped, but it hasn't hurt either.

My tinnitus sounds like a fairly loud mosquito whine, and it's pretty constant. I've found that I don't hear it when I'm around a river with raipds, such as the Youghiogheny in Ohiopyle, PA. A white-noise machine, turned up fairly loud, helps a bit also, and it's a lot closer. 🙂 I also sing with a local chorus. I hear the tinnitus when we're taking notes from the director, but during the actual singing I don't. Maybe it's just that my attention is diverted from it, but it's a welcome relief regardless.

As you probably know, there's no cure known at this point. I figure in a few years I'll go back and ask again, because medical science is finding new cures all the time.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes the audiologist (s) have told me this& other things but they don’t know 

I’m going to take a walk right now but the down side is if it’s cold or the least bit breezy it gets worse. 
knowing it’s my brain not my ears doesn’t turn down the volume for me but I keep pushing thru. Good luck to ya

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sadly, there is no cure until they figure out how to fix nerves....

Periodic Contributor

I've had terrible tinnitus since 1995.  It's constant, so I use backround noise, like a radio, to cover it.  I had brain cancer in 1995 and the radition therapy that followed the surgery damaged my aural nerves.  This made me almost deaf, but I sure can hear that high pitched whine.  Beats the heck out of dying of brain cancer!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

That’s a courageous thing to say. Congratulations and good health to you. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Good morning!  I have severe tinnitus, too...I've had it since 1995.  I had brain cancer and the radiation therapy afterwards damaged my aural nerves...rending me almost deaf and with severe tinnitus.  It sucks, but I'm grateful to be alive.

Regular Contributor

🍀

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I lost hearing in one ear after a root canal. Now I have very loud tinnitus in that ear. 

Periodic Contributor

I also lost hearing in one ear after a root canal, and now have loud tinnitus. They said it wasn't the root canal but I know different. Ill never get another root canal, just pull the tooth. They tell you a hearing aid will help but it doesnt. They just want you to buy the hearing aid. With all the technology today they cant do anything about tinnitus.?? I feel like im going crazy.
Regular Contributor

finally a reply I can relate too. Not the root canal thing tho. I had a bad cold one winter & lost hearing  on one side. Then went to hearing loss & tinnitus

I’ve wondered from day one how or if I can live with this. 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Gosh, yes. Root canals can have disasterous consquences for some people. Almost caused my jaw to fall off. Cost me $11k in dental expenses in one year. Root canals started the health declines of my dad and his cousin that led to painful premature deaths. Obviously, serious adverse reactions from bone deterioration to death don't happen to everyone, but several dental associations have admitted that these are consequences of dental standard of care using toxic materials and look for more non-toxic dental remedies. Consult with one of these dentists, @maryannd111037

Also read: Uninformed Consent: The Hidden Dangers of Dental Care

0 Kudos

I do. And hearing aids are out of sight.
Regular Contributor

You posted yr ago but u can get affordable hearing aids now. They don’t help me. Good luck to ya. 

0 Kudos

Yes I do. It’s very bad in my right ear but both ring constantly. 

0 Kudos

I have tennitus BIG time. I hear a variety of sounds, ranging from chirping birds, ringing, the sound of rain or running water, a pulsating noise like a heartbeat and others. They vary. Sometimes I hear 2 at a time. Tests performed by an otologist revealed slight hearing loss at high and low decibels, and a VNG balance test was negative for inner-ear problems. The upshot was that the problem is caused by migraine (which I've had for years, but headaches were replaced by ocular migraine that causes vertigo and double vision, with tinnitus a component of the disorder. Hence the referral to the otologist).

I was referred to a neurologist. I told him about my tinnitus symptoms, which also include the sound of people talking, as though a radio had been left on, and music that sounds like a men's chorus. He said that THAT particular symptom is rare, but officially recognized by the American Academy of Neurology (or another professional neurological organiztion) as a form of epilepsy, called "auditory hallucinations" - NOT to be confused with a psychiatric disorder of the same name. In this context, it refers only to migraine-related symptoms, including tinnitus!

Possibility for diagnosis of epilepsy as a component of  tinnitus is strengthened by the presence of epileptic-like symptoms reported in conjunction with migraine - e.g., the need to sleep following an attack, the presence of a prodrome, etc.

I was given a seizure medication that's used widely off-label for migraine. I couldn't tolerate it so it was replaced with a medication prescribed ONLY for seizures, to see if it would help the migraines and thus, treat the tinnitus. I can't tolerate that either, so now I'm on Enzyme Co-Q 10 300 mg a day. A trial period is usually 3 months, so we'll see. In the meantime, I have to put up with the sound of locust swarms and "choral concerts."

The purpose of my post is to urge anyone with the rarer symptoms of tinnitus (the talking and the music) to discuss them with a neurologist. Unfortunately, there's not much literature on the subject of epilepsy being concomitant with tinnnitus, or whether migraine factors into it. A sleep-deprivation EEG and an enhanced MRI can help find brain abnormalities that could lead to a diagnosis. However, I don't think "musical epilepsy" is detectable on imaging studies since it's a component of tinnitus.

Contributor

I've got those same symptoms and thought I was crazy until I read your post. Thank you. I've been too embarrassed to mention it.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP