Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you know the signs of hearing loss?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you know the signs of hearing loss?

Telephone, conversations with more than one person, television volume up too loud?  These are just a few http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2014/hearing-loss-causes.html?intcmp=AE-MIV-HE...  - are there others we missed?  Post them here.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Contributor

Two audiologist have stated my hearing loss is partially due to having pinched nerves

Themotivator
0 Kudos
Info Seeker

I found out that I had hearing loss in the 5th or 6th grade.  Left side was almost totally gone with some loss in the right ear.  ENT doctor did surgery on the left   ear and fixed the problem with the 3 bones (Hammer, Stirrup and can't remember the 3rd one)  when I was a sophmore in High School.   Now I am totally deaf in the ear as they found that the surgery made you lose what hearing you have.   I have worn a hearing aid since 6th grade and am 70 years old.   Low pitch voices are hard for me to understand and my pet peeve is people that talk too fast and when you ask them to slow down and talk slower they can't do it!!   I am lost without my aid and wear it al the time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

In my case, the loss of hearing was due to the fact that the ear canals had grown shut.  The doctor operated and I could hear again untilthe canals grew shut the second time.  M.E.Nixon

0 Kudos

Your list didn't mention sudden sensorineural hearing loss.  I lost most of my hearing in one ear 4 years ago at age 56 from what two hearing experts determined was a virus that killed the nerve from th ear to the brain.  Its irreversible and no standard hearing aid helps with the condition.

Contributor

But bone anchored hearing devices can be the answer to your situation if you have a hearing loss that hearing aids cannot help. I just had an Oticon Ponto 4 fitted and it's wonderful! I can hear things from my bad side again! ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Contributor

Good post about Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL)!

I had the same thing happen to me. If you suddenly lose hearing, please go to ER! Not to your doctor! This is a medical emergency and steroids and anti-viral meds can possibly save most of your hearing. I found this out after the fact and have about 10% hearing in the affected ear.  I went to my doctor at first and they did not know what it was.  I didn't get to ER for a week because I was told to come back after a few days to see if anything had changed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I suffered hearing loss after a bad fall.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I found that most of my hearing loss is in the higher frequency ranges, and that includes soft/feminine voices. Some ladies I understand perfectly; others - no. I have hearing aids - paid a lot for them and they are worth it. I could not stay employed without them. But they are not equal to good native hearing.

I have tinnitus - from the Army and especially The Gulf War/Desert Storm. That probably contributes to my inability to hear certain sounds, even with my hearing aids, but mostly I find it's certain voices, and from them - certain sounds. For example, I will hear all of what my wife says, minus a word, or minus certain syllables, without which the statement makes no sense. This leads to accusations of, "You're not listening to me!" <shrug> Lord knows I'm trying....

In summary, I can't hear almost any conversation if there are ambient noises (kitchens at dinner time are the worst). Given ambient noise, I find that if I can see the face, I gain verbal clues that help. Think about speaking with someone who's native tongue is other than English (or your native tongue). If you are looking at them, and they at  you, you understand more than if you are talking to them on the telephone. It's not 100% better, true; but it's better.

I suggest that if someone with impaired hearing does not take whatever steps are necessary to obtain hearing aids, then they are missing a lot of life's meaning. I finally caved and bought hearing aids when I could not hear/understand my Granddaughter. They proved worth every penny. Oh, and I can usually understand my wife, too...

0 Kudos
Contributor

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have tinnitus really bad which interfereshould with my ability to hear everything. I began to notice it starting when I was in my twenties.
I learned much later it can be caused by being on antibiotics for an extended period of time. I was on antibiotics for years for eczema. I am now 69 and it is very loud. My otologist said it is actually not in the ear, but in the brain stem. I don't know if hearing aids would help in this case but am desparate to find relief.
Please, anyone have answers?
Pat Reed
(Post edited to remove email address)

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Pat, I also have severe tinnitus and am seeking any kind of relief. My ENT has told me there is no relief to be found. I have congestion and post nasal drip using flonase with partial relief of symptoms. I often find upon waking in the morning the tinnitus is almost unbearable and lessens as I get moving. Needless to say my hearing is lousy,aids too expensive.

(post edited to remove email address)

Contributor

Please look into how you could get hearing aids at no or low cost. It is so important.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Without the aids, you just have no idea how much you are missing - IMHO.

0 Kudos
Contributor

i lost my hearing in my left ear jan 2011 due to meniere's disease along with several other symptoms of the disease.  it is now july 2015 and my hearing STILL hasn't come back.  all i hear out of is the constant 24/7/365 ringing/hissing.  VA hosp dr says not even a hearing aid will help it.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Huh?
0 Kudos
Contributor

I can hear very well when it is quiet......as they say.....I can hear a pin drop.  But when there is outside noises it is becoming very difficult for me to pick out the words I want to hear.  For example, when we are in a restaurant and people around us are having their conversations and we bow our heads to pray I have to incline my head to my husband's words so I can begin to understand them and say Amen at an appropriate time.  I don't like it but until I can't hear.  I hate to spend money on aids.

Contributor

For me it is increasing difficulty in understanding dialogue person to person, on telephone, tv, radio,

etc. Words cannot be identified or are completely misunderstood. Can be comical at times, but

mostly frustrating and aggravating for me and others if others are involved. Does have benefit

however with spouse, allowing for reasonable "selective hearing".

0 Kudos
Contributor

My hearing loss is mostly due to loud noises. Power equipment such as chainsaws, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, and fire arms, as well as heavy truck traffic years ago.

I have experienced tinnitus for many years due to the loud noises. When I was younger it was only for a day or two after exposure, and but now it's constant ringing.

I had never heard that diabetes could affect hearing until today while reading an AARP article.

I was told by my audiologist that my problem was trouble understanding words beginning and ending with consonants. I can hear whispering but do not understand what is said.

I now wear hearing protection any time I'm around loud noise.

BTW my wife refuses to speak a little louder or look at me, as we converse. ;-}  I don't read lips, so I don't understand why it helps me to understand the conversation. I don't seem to have that problem except with specific people.

Take care, t

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My indication came from working as a hospital chaplain and working with many women RN's and physicians. I began having problems understanding the women but was OK with the men. I also have minor tinnitus that probably adds to the hearing loss. With good hearing aids I am pretty good but need a recheck because it is getting more difficult for certain words or numbers. For example the words fifth and sixth are difficult to disinguish especially in women. Thier pitch and tone are very difficult for me to distinguish variations. No, I'm not using "selective listening"! It is quite frustrating for my wife and myself.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP