How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: 4 Surgeries To Avoid

Message 1 of 162 (997 Views)
I had a complete hysterectomy in 1998 at 33yo and haven't regretted it a day since! I had a uterine fibroid the size of a softball and endometriosis. By the time they wanted to do my surgery my blood levels were so low I had to be put into induced menopause before they could.
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 162 (1,019 Views)

Cortizone may not be a fix-it solution. A surgeon fixed my separated shoulder after an automobile accident. Several months later I asked him for a shot of cortizone. It solved the pain. About 10 years ago I asked the same surgeon to give me a shot in each shoulder for pain and stiffness as I was going fishing for a week with 9 other men. I wanted to be able to cast from the shoreline. I have not had a cortizine shot since. I am 73 and exercise with free weights and my treadmill. I am sure this provides some benefits. I would ask for cortizone again if I felt the need.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 162 (777 Views)

I have had both knees replaced and within about eight months apart.  They are wonderful.  I can sit cross legged, pull my knees to my chest, pull each foot to my chin. I can walk heel to toe without faltering. I am as good as ever with exception of getting down on my knees.  It is difficult getting down on the floor and as well, getting back up.  However, if not for the surgeries, I would be in a wheel chair today.   I could not bend a knee while attempting to walk and the pain was so great, I must admit to giving into tears many times.  My left knee eroded and the leg bowed out so much so, it could be seen beneath slacks.   With immediate knee surgery, the leg was straightened.  I recommend knee surgery to anyone who is in the condition that I was, however, please know that it is a lot of pain, and I stress, a lot of pain but well worth it.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 162 (781 Views)

I have had the complicated back surgery and the knee sugery.  Would do them again.  They were most helpful.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 162 (787 Views)

It would be nice to have seen some medical and other professional opinions on both why or why not to have these particular surgeries ad well as proven and safe alternatives or recommendations or links to find more advice or information to help with decision-making if and when these procedures are mentioned by a caregiver or health professional.

Personally, when surgery is mentioned to me, I begin researching the procedures, before and after surgery expectations info, and consult other resources for others' personal experiences. I have had a breast biopsy and clamp; gall bladder removal; surgical pin in my left, fifth metatarsal; uterine laparoscopy; and, complete hysterectomy with oophorectomy. More of me has been left in the operating room than I care to reconcile! Yet, I feel as complete as ever. Had I the chance to do it again, I would. The pain endured pre-surgery was UNBELIVEBLY UNBEARABLE! The doctor-patient relationship sets the trust level before any surgery and can facilitate a safe and speedy recovery afterwards. 

I suggest that women looking for help in deciding whether or not to have surgery...for that matter...ANYONE in that position, do some research, some soul -searching, and get VALID and professional opinions on possible after-effects, outcomes, and success rates involved. Know what to expect regardless of your decision and prepare for it as best you can. 

Knowledge is a powerful thing. No question is a stupid one. Its YOUR life and body. Do what works for you and be confident in knowing you did the best you could for your particular situation. Be safe, blessed, and informed.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 162 (831 Views)

I am a recently retired Gynecologist having practiced for almost 30 years.  I have several points for your consideration:

1. EVERY patient is different, EVERY woman should educate herself, find a doctor she can trust, and with the doctor's help make the unique decision that is right for her.  There are no general do's and dont's.

2. Hysterectomy was what we had available for all sorts of gyn problems in the past..  Newer techniques are now available (I can remember when we did the first laparoscopy in the medical center) and can change the recommendations for many patients, and not ALL patients.

3. The history of gynecology is that "women's problems" are unimportant, often exaggerated, frequently are generated by emotions, are inconsequential, and "they would be better off just seeing a Psychiatrist".  Those opinions are still  widely held in many places, and particularly with non-gynecologists.  I'm not kidding!!

4. Another widely held opinion:  Open surgeries (with incision and opening the abdomen) now have far more risks than benefits.  Certainly for "made-up symptoms and emotional problems".

5. The recommendations change as new technology becomes available;  especially if more money can be made with the newer procedures.  Insurance companies love the high tech stuff - that's "worth" the money.  They pay almost nothing, by comparison, for plain old fashioned removal of the offending organ, regardless of the risks or the benefits.

6. There are about a million more points in this discussion.

7,8,9,10.  EVERY patient is different, EVERY woman can  make her own, individual,l personal  decisions.

E Lincoln MD FACOG ABOG CMC DCMS                                                                                                              

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 162 (834 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 162 (886 Views)
I would, indeed, had I any choice, but it was a matter of life and death..literally!
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 162 (904 Views)

Had I not had my 3 spinal fusions for my spinal stenosis, I would be paralyzed. My spine is now 3/4 titanium and cadaver discs and I enjoy every day that I can move.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 162 (909 Views)
Had a hysterectomy at age 33. Because of all the prior issues I had I can honestly say i would absolutely do it again. I could never plan trips or plan much of anything before the surgery, after I could do more and enjoy things I couldn't do before the surgery. I already had a tubal ligation so had no plans for further pregnancies. I was healthier and happier after this surgery!