AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What is your best memory of Lucy & Desi?

Message 1 of 11 (442 Views)

@MaVolta - Some of the Desi-wannabe names are familiar, but only John Leguizamo lights up as a comedic actor. John is a "young-looking 53", so he too is oldish for the part of someone 23 - 43 years old.

- Javier Bardem & Gail Garcia Bernal would both bring the latin accent & sensibilities; but they're known for intense, dramatic movie parts.

- Esai Morales is well-known from TV roles, like the replacement captain on "NYPD Blue"; he's 54.

- Danny Pino (43 & Cuban ancestry) is also well-known from TV roles on "Cold Case" and "Law & Order: SVU".

- Wilmer Valderrama (37, Colombian/Venezuelan) well known from "That 70s Show" & other series.

I never heard of:

- Demian Bichir (54, Mexican, and known from telenovelas work),

- Oscar Isaac (38, Guatamalan & an actor/musician),

- Diego Luna (37, Mexican & a producer/director),

- Pedro Pascal (42, Chilean, "Game of Thrones" and "Narcos"),

- Michael Pena (41, Mexican ancestry, actor/musician),

- Freddy Rodriguez (42, Puerto Rican ancestry, "Six Feet Under", "Ugly Betty")

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 11 (455 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

While I think Cate Blanchett is a great actress, I'm shocked that they'd pick an Australian actress to play such an iconic role as all-American comedienne Lucille Ball, when there are so many talented younger comedic American actresses! Maybe they could get Scotsman Gerard Butler to play Cuban-born Desi Arnaz. Lucy & Desi married in 1940; she was 29 & he was 23. They were married for 20 years, so Lucy was 49 & Desi 43 at that time. Cate Blanchett is already 48, and they haven't even cast Desi yet .. so she'll already be at least as old as Lucy was at the end of their marriage .. but portraying the previous 20 years?!

Good points! Surely there is an aspiring comic-actress somewhere that would have fit the bill. 

Does anyone recognize any of the actors listed in the poll that are under consideration for Desi? I don't know any of the names, thus didn't vote for anyone. Pictures would have been nice. Sometimes I will recognize a face and not remember the name.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 11 (459 Views)

Ditto on Vitametavegamin. I still laugh until my side hurts! 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 11 (474 Views)

The Vitametavegamin episode is the one for me. I watch I Love Lucy every morning from 5a.m. to 8 a.m. It gets my day going for me like a cup of coffee does for some people. I really enjoy watching I Love Lucy. I can't wait till that movie about them finally comes out. You can be sure I will be going to see it. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 11 (550 Views)

I love them both and loved every episode of I Love Lucy.  I liked The Lucy show too when I was growing up.  Ricky singing Babalou when he had a sore throat stands out in my memory.   And I still watch/listen to the show on the weekends.

vita umbratilis
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 11 (594 Views)

Whenever I see an old “I Love Lucy” episode I notice the 1950’s style clothing, hair styles and mindset and how much it reminds me of my own parents and how their lifestyle and attitude towards life was so much like the Ricardo’s in the 1950’s.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 11 (606 Views)

While I think Cate Blanchett is a great actress, I'm shocked that they'd pick an Australian actress to play such an iconic role as all-American comedienne Lucille Ball, when there are so many talented younger comedic American actresses! Maybe they could get Scotsman Gerard Butler to play Cuban-born Desi Arnaz. Lucy & Desi married in 1940; she was 29 & he was 23. They were married for 20 years, so Lucy was 49 & Desi 43 at that time. Cate Blanchett is already 48, and they haven't even cast Desi yet .. so she'll already be at least as old as Lucy was at the end of their marriage .. but portraying the previous 20 years?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 11 (634 Views)

I'm a guy so this one's gonna sound kinda mushy for a guy to pick but I have always loved the episode where Lucy is trying to tell Ricky she's pregnant and he keeps having his attention drawn away by other things.

The last scene where he sings around the night club with everyone shaking their heads NO and then when he passes by her table and she's nodding her head yes, always brings a HAPPY tear to my eye even though I have seen the episode maybe 1,000 times.

As an aside: My grown daughter used to watch Lucy before she could talk or understand what was being said; and still rolled in the floor laughing at who will forever be the funniest woman in comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUpndu4rPEA

Community Manager

Message 9 of 11 (657 Views)

Yes indeed @retiredtraveler that sure is an unforgettable scene!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 11 (659 Views)

Lucy's Famous Chocolate Scene - YouTube

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.