Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: What are your favorite Elvis songs and memories?

Message 1 of 31
I’ve been an Elvis fan for about (52) years now and after some rough years in the 70’s where the media and others were slamming him hard and cruelly over his weight and voice, he’s bigger now than ever. I enjoy “If I Can Dream” and “In The Ghetto “, he put his heart and soul into those two. He was even warned that “In The Ghetto “ was to controversial and not to do the song but he stood his ground and did it His Way and was successful.
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 31

Surrender & Its Now or Never, I just love his voice especially on these songs! 

Info Seeker

Not sure..

Message 3 of 31

AARPLynne wrote:

The king of rock ’n’ roll died suddenly Aug. 16, 1977. As we mark the 40th anniversary of his death, AARP takes a look back at this icon. We remember his magical voice and hip swiveling like it was yesterday.

What are your favorite Elvis songs and memories? Please share and tell us why. You can also read what others are saying.

AARPLynne wrote:

The king of rock ’n’ roll died suddenly Aug. 16, 1977. As we mark the 40th anniversary of his death, AARP takes a look back at this icon. We remember his magical voice and hip swiveling like it was yesterday.

What are your favorite Elvis songs and memories? Please share and tell us why. You can also read what others are saying.

Jailhouse rock and memory was the day he died, my cousin told me and I beat her up cuz I didn't believe her and I ran home crying to my mom.

Kelli
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 31

When Elvis first became a nationally know singer his song "Ain't nothin' but a hound dog" was my favorite.  I sang it all the time which made my mother cringe.

She really didn't like Elvis because of his gyrations but mostly because he didn't clearly ennunciate his words and of course, when I sang it I didn't either.  So I was banned from singing it if she was in earshot.  I just went out in the orchard and sang to the apples and plums!

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 31

Wow, where to start! I Was The One, I Want You, I Need You, I Love You

Anyway You Want Me, That's When Your Heartaches Begin, Loving You,

Don't, Wear My Ring Around Your Neck, One Night, A Fool Such As I, Fame And Fortune, His Latest Flame, She's Not You, Viva Las Vegas, Crying In The Chapel, Easy Question, U.S. Male, A Little Less Conversation, Kentucky Rain, 

T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Moody Blue.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 31

Jailhouse Rock. It was when Elvis was still blonde and unfettered. Don't like how Hollywood changed him. The original Elvis ... even before Ed Sullivan ... was the best. Hound Dog would be next.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 31

Besides all of his great songs ( and I couldn't pick a favorite ) Elvis did at least 35 movies. His movies are some of my favorite memories, and he was also a good actor as well. Long live the King!

Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 31

Elvis became popular the year I was 16.  I'd hang pictures of Elvis on my bedroom wall and my father would take them down.  I remember seeing Elvis for the first time when he appeared on the Ed Sullivan show when he was shown from the waist up so we couldn't see his gyrations!  My mother watched with me but my father thought it was awful!   I remember Elvis singing Hound Dog to a basset hound, too.  My father always called me Teddybear when I was a child, so you can imagine my excitement when Elvis sang the song Teddybear.  I loved all of his songs, especially Love me Tender, When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold, and so many others.  I still have my Elvis 78 and 45 rpm vinyl records and have copied them onto CDs.  There will never be another singer like Elvis Presley. 

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 31

Suspisous Minds.  My older sister  loved Elvis, she married young and never got to go to any of his concerts so when he was in Chicago the year before he died I took her to see him for her birthday, she has told me many times that she was so grateful she got to see him before he died and it was the best birthday present she has ever gotten.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 31

Before Elvis there was nothing. John Lennon

Announcements

Prepare to Care

A resourceful guide to learn about how to have conversations with older family members and much more!