AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Info Seeker

Re: Did Diana marry for love or for fairy tale?

Message 1 of 10 (338 Views)
Diana married for love, but she was too naive to recognize the egocentric nature of Charles. How was she to know she was being used to produce heirs? And, that she was marrying someone who had already found the love of his life, and had no intention of discontinuing his sordid love affair. How do you know that people like Charles exist when you're only 19? How could she know? She lived a sheltered life. She was plucked out of obscurity and faced some of the most challenging life experiences with grace and passion. She shared her light and brilliant spirit with the world. After all Charles did to Diana, I was stunned that he married Camilla. That must be so awkward for William and Harry.
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 10 (848 Views)

I believe she did love him. What an overwhelming role she had without a strong support system of her own.  You don't hear about older women in her life that she could count on for advice, tea and sympathy. Loyal to her, not the crown or other people. 

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 10 (1,539 Views)

She married for love but was used by the royals to conceive children in the hopes that 1 would be a male thus insuring the blood line would continue. Incredibly sad that Charles was cruel to her as was most of those cold fishes. And I'll never be convinced that her father-in-law, Prince Philip, didn't have a hand in everything that poor girl went through from beginning to her tragic end.

And it was sickening that even her own family profited off her life.

Thank goodness it looks like the young royals are breathing fresh air into the family. I wish them well!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 10 (1,735 Views)

Monarchy.... U r wrong. Its here to stay

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 10 (1,879 Views)

"...I really think in time they will do away with the Monacry  The queen really doesn't 'run' the country, to me it's all for show...".

I won't hijack the thread other than to state that the Monarchy is not going anwhere. I just got back from an annual trip to the UK and they, for the majority, want to keep the Monarchy. And yes, it is just for show --- but one of the most interesting in the world. There isn't a single day that passes without a story about the royal family, in any of their papers.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 10 (1,916 Views)

I think she married for love. As for Prince Charles ~ he married the right person "in-spite-of-himself" ! She was the most positive influence on their two sons and made sure to head them in the right direction early on. She wasn't afraid to publicly display her affection, discipline and candor to them. In addition, they continually witnessed examples of how to develop a non-judgemental attitude as well as a keen sense of fairness.  I think she just about singlehandedly leveled the playing field for them to usher in a more modern way to rule. It was her destiny to be exactly who she was to her husband, children, family and her public. She was a credit to the human race!  🌐 

Loretta May Alexander
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 10 (2,069 Views)

I think Diana married for love of the fairy tale.  She was a very immature teenager full of dreams and fantasies who knew nothing of men, romance, relationships, or marriage.  She married an immature, selfish, self centered man who did not care about her - even as a fellow human - and who resented her because he was forced to marry her.  It all overwhelmed her and there was no one or no where she could go to gain strength and peace. She did the best she could and left us with the memory of an exceptional being.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 10 (2,085 Views)

Prince Charlas was forced by th Queen to marry a virgin, she was picked. It may have been both in the beginning. She diid want to call off the wedding, but it was too late. After she had her 2 boys, I think she really found out what was going on. It wasn't a happy life. She was forced to do too many things. I like the way William and Kate are changing everything, to suit the times. Evrything now is SO stuffy and 'old'. Times have changed, keep up with them. I think Diana tried to change things, and in a way she started it and William and Harry are following, and I like that. I really think in time they will do away with the Monacry  The queen really doesn't 'run' the country, to me it's all for show.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 10 (2,170 Views)

I believe that Princess Diana married for love but, never realized the amount of publicity and interest that it was to bring upon England and the world. She never realized her true beauty not just from the outside but the beauty she had from the inside out. Princess Diana was a young naive kindergarten teacher who from everything I have read had a crush on Prince Charles before she ever met him. So yes I believe she was in love with Prince Charles she just wasn't ready for everything that came with it and it was totally overwhelming.

Community Manager

Did Diana marry for love or for fairy tale?

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 10 (2,330 Views)

diana.jpgThis is the first in a series of posts remembering Princess Diana, whose shocking death was 20 years ago this summer. 

Did Diana marry for love or for fairy tale?

Join the discussion by sharing your opinion in a reply post below!

Top Tags
Top Kudoed Authors