The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Conversationalist

Re: Did Diana marry for love or for fairy tale?

Message 1 of 66 (520 Views)

You said: 

"As a young woman of the 70's, I'm still appalled that Diana was never directed towards higher education of some sort!!

Diana was a dismal student.  I remember they said she never achieved higher learning in ANY subject (they measured competence with "O" levels).  Her main school achievements were her dancing and swimming.  She would've become a professional dancer, but then she grew too tall.  No one thought she would ever become an intellectual, but from what she said Charles did on their honeymoon, I think he was abysmally ignorant of his new bride's complete and utter lack of knowledge and interest in almost everything that he was interested in.   She not only wasn't interested in his subjects, she couldn't be.  They couldn't have been more different. 

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 66 (523 Views)

You say Charles was Diana Spencer's "first boyfriend", but he actually wasn't.  The Windsor's put that out because the public needed/wanted a virgin wife, but she told her biographer years later that she wasn't a virgin when she married.  She had had one short prior sexual relationship, can't remember his name. 

--Jeni

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 66 (536 Views)
Maybe both love and a hope for a fairy tale ending. I loved her humility coupled with obvious strengths. Her empathy for others. She put it All out there. Charles is and was a dweeb never to be forgiven for his trespasses. The old saying that one can't buy class is true yet. Her boys have honored her. Post Script: The Princess had it all going on and she could "rock it out".
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 66 (1,918 Views)

I agree but I do think she married more for love. The love she always wanted as a child and never received because as you said she was raised in the old Victorian way, but she wanted her children to be raised freer, as she really was but showing respect.  Diana did a great job with her boys, and Prince William (and wife) are showing that in the way in which they are raising their children.  Do you remember how Diana had to fight to take both her boys with her on the plane the very first time because no way was an heir and a spare to travel together in case of an accident.  Diana fought that one and won, as she did many of her disagreements with the palace.  And Prince William has been traveling with both his children.  Diana taught them how to have empathy for others even though they were priviledged, and yet she did not forget that William may be the next king and still had to instill those things in him also.  She showed both her boys unconditional love.  And look at who Prince Harry is dating and seems to be very close to.  That's all because of their Mother, the People's Princess.

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 66 (2,631 Views)

I think that it was a little of both, though she declared her love for Charles.  I question her age and the fairytale myth of the handsome prince.  I believe that she was flattered as many young girls her age would be, plus he was her FIRST boyfriend!  They had jsut 13 dates.  She must have felt that it was love on her part, I suggest it ws intense infatuation.  I think that, if they had dated for much longer, she would have eventually realized that he never did love her and only chose her because she was a "good fit" for the crown.  It was a marriage that never should have been.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 66 (2,760 Views)

Princess Diana married for love, because for her, her love with Prince Charles was her fairy tale !

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 66 (2,792 Views)

I think it was both. Everyone knew prince Charles was looking for a bride at that time. All the women of England wanted to be married to prince Charles. Everyone thought He was the catch of that time. Why not Diana? But Do we not think she also wanted love, a good and supportive husband, children? I'm sure she thought it all possible with the royal prince of England. However, he loved someone else he was not allowed to marry. All  very sad for everyone involved. 

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 66 (2,940 Views)

You say Diana needed more higher education, I remember most people believed Diana was incapable of school accomplishments.  She had very low grades in school.  Her accomplishments were never scholarly.  She was emotive, athletic.  Her first career goal was as a dancer, she only abandoned dancing after she grew to be almost six feet tall!  Then she started teaching children at a day care.  Her strength was in that she understood people's needs & feelings, average people, she was born into an aristocratic household but she acted like one of the people; that's why she got the nickname "The People's Princess".  She reminds me of Bill Clinton's charisma, he too was an average Joe type who became famous.  You could say she's an exact opposite of Prince Charles who was stuffy, elitist, snobby & highly educated. 

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 66 (2,967 Views)
Clearly, she was smitten!
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 66 (3,078 Views)

Fairy tale

Announcements

It's National Giving Month! Small Gestures. Big Impact. Discover Easy Ways to Give.

Discover more!