Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Did Diana marry for love or for fairy tale?

Message 31 of 66 (3,321 Views)

Hi. Well what a narrative .. could fill up several pages in a book.  Where did you get your information or is this all your own opinion ....  ... whether you are sensitive or not to Diana it seems to me there is too much negative about Diana and she certainly has many, many people in her court ... If any of this is true, what a horrible ending to a Fairy Tale .... 

j722782r wrote:

Diana married for the 'fairy tale'.  As poor aristocrats, her family had always pushed the daughters into thinking one of them had to marry Prince Charles or Prince Andrew to succeed (after all, that's what her mother did, married up), and since Diana was the youngest of 5 daughters they assumed if she married either of the Princes it would be Andrew who was closest to her age.  But over time Prince Charles dated each of her older sisters & they each bombed out, both with him and with public opinion; then it was her turn.  Diana wanted to fulfill the family quest and achieve something her sisters couldn't, show them all up. After all, she was widely considered to be the least talented and the least likely to succeed of the sisters, she had dismal grades in school, her only high marks were in swimming & dancing. 

It wasn't 'love', it wasn't even self-love, it was societal and family pressure, and personal ambition.  I doubt she ever loved Charles as a person, she never even understood him, but I do think if he hadn't run around on her with Camilla she probably would've stayed married to him and tried to please him.  She wouldn't have been successful.  She may have started out in the marriage convincing herself that she loved him, after all she was very young and naive, much younger than him.  But you can't love somebody you don't even understand; that marriage was doomed from the start, like most marriages of convenience. 

And then the public became infatuated with her.  She basked in the intense public attention, she courted the paparazzi, she manipulated them & us masterfully.  You have to remember that Diana's first choice of "career" was to be a dancer, she wanted to be feted and admired and popular and in the limelight; she was a performer at heart.  Her best friends came to be performers and artists.  This marriage was a job for her to replace the one she couldn't have, and it got her much more than she bargained for. 

I think Diana knew people intensely wanted the fairy tale, and when she got into it and realized it was nothing like a wonderful dream, she also realized the only way to get out was to make people feel sorry for her.  Don't get me wrong, I think she was very successful overall.  I admire her efforts to help other people & to find success in philanthrophic endeavors in the later part of her life; she put her notariety to good use in helping raise AIDS awareness, land mines, the homeless, etc, she also changed the direction of the Windsor's by showing up their sociopathy, her sons have been allowed to be less like their predecessors. She really tried to be a good mother.  She lived her life to the best of her ability.  She was by many factors a raging success. 

I also think she was very stupid, she completely underestimated the depth of hate in and around the Queen's family, an institution that was dedicated to preserving their position at any cost.  I think she could have been murdered.  I also think if she was murdered, we may never be able to prove it.  So her untimely death when she was still in the prime of life, still young and beautiful, left her as an icon.  She came to symbolize the fairy tale for simpleminded people, but she was never the fairy tale, she couldn't be because Charles wasn't.  Unfortunately, pursuing the fairy tale got Lady Diana Spencer killed. 

j722782r wrote:

Diana married for the 'fairy tale'.  As poor aristocrats, her family had always pushed the daughters into thinking one of them had to marry Prince Charles or Prince Andrew to succeed (after all, that's what her mother did, married up), and since Diana was the youngest of 5 daughters they assumed if she married either of the Princes it would be Andrew who was closest to her age.  But over time Prince Charles dated each of her older sisters & they each bombed out, both with him and with public opinion; then it was her turn.  Diana wanted to fulfill the family quest and achieve something her sisters couldn't, show them all up. After all, she was widely considered to be the least talented and the least likely to succeed of the sisters, she had dismal grades in school, her only high marks were in swimming & dancing. 

It wasn't 'love', it wasn't even self-love, it was societal and family pressure, and personal ambition.  I doubt she ever loved Charles as a person, she never even understood him, but I do think if he hadn't run around on her with Camilla she probably would've stayed married to him and tried to please him.  She wouldn't have been successful.  She may have started out in the marriage convincing herself that she loved him, after all she was very young and naive, much younger than him.  But you can't love somebody you don't even understand; that marriage was doomed from the start, like most marriages of convenience. 

And then the public became infatuated with her.  She basked in the intense public attention, she courted the paparazzi, she manipulated them & us masterfully.  You have to remember that Diana's first choice of "career" was to be a dancer, she wanted to be feted and admired and popular and in the limelight; she was a performer at heart.  Her best friends came to be performers and artists.  This marriage was a job for her to replace the one she couldn't have, and it got her much more than she bargained for. 

I think Diana knew people intensely wanted the fairy tale, and when she got into it and realized it was nothing like a wonderful dream, she also realized the only way to get out was to make people feel sorry for her.  Don't get me wrong, I think she was very successful overall.  I admire her efforts to help other people & to find success in philanthrophic endeavors in the later part of her life; she put her notariety to good use in helping raise AIDS awareness, land mines, the homeless, etc, she also changed the direction of the Windsor's by showing up their sociopathy, her sons have been allowed to be less like their predecessors. She really tried to be a good mother.  She lived her life to the best of her ability.  She was by many factors a raging success. 

I also think she was very stupid, she completely underestimated the depth of hate in and around the Queen's family, an institution that was dedicated to preserving their position at any cost.  I think she could have been murdered.  I also think if she was murdered, we may never be able to prove it.  So her untimely death when she was still in the prime of life, still young and beautiful, left her as an icon.  She came to symbolize the fairy tale for simpleminded people, but she was never the fairy tale, she couldn't be because Charles wasn't.  Unfortunately, pursuing the fairy tale got Lady Diana Spencer killed. 

Conversationalist

Message 32 of 66 (3,320 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 66 (4,895 Views)

I honestly believe that Princess Diana did marry for love. She trusted in the royal family. Prince Charles had to produce some off-springs and she happened to be a respectable individual to pull it off. It also seems to me that the queen and everyone knew the situation, but failed to let the princess in on the trick. That hag that he ended up marrying was a married woman when he married the princess. Camila Boles-Parker was to old and unattractive to produce any ares to the throne. Thank God that Princess Diana's sons are not as heartless as their father!

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 66 (5,055 Views)

I think Princess Diana loved her Prince, but he loved someone else.

Her life must have been difficult, but she was blessed with two wonderful Princes who gave her great joy in spite of her cheating husband. The tragedy of her short life was the result of her unloving spouse. She deserved so much better!

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 66 (4,980 Views)

She married for love and worked to make it a fairy tale which failed miserably due to of the lack of humanity from the monarchy. They treated her so badly. So refreshing to see William and Kate with the children modernizing the pomp and circumstance. They are true role models.

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 66 (4,933 Views)

I believe she did marry for love. She just didn't know what she was 

getting into with him and the royal family. 

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 37 of 66 (4,983 Views)

Princess Diana was truly a princess, as she demonstrated how she met with her 'duties' with not only the public, but also with the oaf, Charles. I'm sure she hoped for the very best but when she gave up, she did so with the saddest ending. I do hope history will treat her fairly, and truthfully!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 38 of 66 (6,630 Views)

JM688 etc. - I found myself reading your reply in detail and nodding in agreement. I'm with you.  They met, the relationship was OK, she hoped/wished, things did not go well, things did not end well.  It would be interesting to see what she would have become with age and time.  Her life details up to death saddened me. Since we only have tabloid reports, who knows what those last relationships were for her.  We had similar with Jackie O's choices, but she was real and not a fairy tale either.  Lady D's love for others, her caring nature, and concerned parenting would have produced a better adult and a senior citizen to be admired.  Alas, she never got there and we will never know. 

Conversationalist

Message 39 of 66 (7,477 Views)
So why bother writing a comment? Leave the topic to we who are interested!
Conversationalist

Message 40 of 66 (6,703 Views)

I think it was probably far more for the fairy tale.  It has always been the aim of the aristocracy to marry as high as possible and, obviously, the heir to the throne is THE highest there is.  Her family undoubtedly pushed hard for the marriage.  Charles' father pushed for it.  I think both hardly knew each other and both married partly due to family pressure.