Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: !

Message 1 of 2 (219 Views)

p693392l wrote:

Hi, thanks for adding me. I have a question. My hubby became disabled in 1985 with ankyling spondylosis in his back. He had been in an auto accident years before & his vetebrae was completely knocked off the pillar. For reasons that baffled doctors, he could still walk. But the pain he suffered was beyond description. SSI, however, refused him benefits. In 1992, he suffered a massive heart attack, losing 1/4 of his heart muscle. Again SSI was denied. We fought SS at that time, & finally won a date for a hearing. Unfortunately for hubby, he died, just 2 weeks before the hearing date.

I was able to attend the hearing on behalf of him & our kids, 15, 14 & 12. He was posthumously awarded benefits only going back to his heart attack, 3 years. 

My question is this. I didn't know I could have been paid to care for him. I cared for him for those 10 years. Can I apply for payment during those years after this long? It could put a little more credit on my social security (which presently i get a pathetic amount. I'm embarrassed to even say how tiny it is.) and put more $ in my budget now. Hoping for good news!

Thanks!

Oh my. I wish i could give you good news. I don't think you can get paid after the fact. It is also true in only a few states that you can get paid as the caregiver of a person who you are also related to. And it's through Medicaid, i believe. To know for sure, the free way to ask is to identify your local agency for older people: type in your zip code to www.eldercare.gov, and then call them and ask. The other more formal way to be sure, and to maybe plan ahead for your own secure retirement, you can consult with an eldercare attorney. Though definitive, that would not be cheap.

I'm so sorry you both had this experience. Did he have life insurance? Your kids are young indeed. Best of luck for finances and for rearing those children.

Jane

Info Seeker

!

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 2 (253 Views)

Hi, thanks for adding me. I have a question. My hubby became disabled in 1985 with ankyling spondylosis in his back. He had been in an auto accident years before & his vetebrae was completely knocked off the pillar. For reasons that baffled doctors, he could still walk. But the pain he suffered was beyond description. SSI, however, refused him benefits. In 1992, he suffered a massive heart attack, losing 1/4 of his heart muscle. Again SSI was denied. We fought SS at that time, & finally won a date for a hearing. Unfortunately for hubby, he died, just 2 weeks before the hearing date.

I was able to attend the hearing on behalf of him & our kids, 15, 14 & 12. He was posthumously awarded benefits only going back to his heart attack, 3 years. 

My question is this. I didn't know I could have been paid to care for him. I cared for him for those 10 years. Can I apply for payment during those years after this long? It could put a little more credit on my social security (which presently i get a pathetic amount. I'm embarrassed to even say how tiny it is.) and put more $ in my budget now. Hoping for good news!

Thanks!