AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Topics: 1,076
Kudos: 11,837

Re: "Sick, Dying and Raped in America's Nursing Homes"

Message 11 of 13 (168 Views)

Thank you for posting this.  It is not a warm and fuzzy subject but it is serious and scary.  Articles like this are sadly, nothing new and prompted my father to make his children promise never to put him in "one of those nursing homes".  My dad suffered a stroke and was hospitalized.  Fortunately he recovered quickly. The morning following his first night in a regular room, he told us that during the night a nurse had made him sit in a chair and tied his arms to the chair arms after he had asked her to assist him in getting to the bathroom.  Was there proof.. no.  He could not identify which nurse or aide it was.  But he never spent another night alone there until his discharge.  He was fortunate that his family all lived close and were not willing to leave him there alone and scared.  At the time, we wished that we had video to check.

There are many things that I do not understand.   Most of us will require care in our older ages and may be confined for some amount of time in a care facility.  Doesn't it worry us to think that we or our loved ones could be put in a situation like this?  Even if you have loving and caring family, they often cannot be with you 100 percent of the time.   Why are not all of the rooms equipped with video  monitoring.  I understand the need for privacy but is that the most important concern.  Mothers use nanny cams!  Worse, what if you have no family.  Who would you appeal to for help.   And why do we value the personal care so little that we pay bottom of the barrel wages to these care givers.  And where is the oversight of these facilities.   I don't think that waiting for the govt to do something will work.  People need to start with thinking about their future and then finding someone or some program who is working towards improving this situation that they can support financially and personally.

Why do we accept that these situations and conditions exist?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: "Sick, Dying and Raped in America's Nursing Homes"

[ Edited ]
Message 12 of 13 (164 Views)

"....Everyone who has a family member, male or female, in a nursing home or who personally contemplates the possibility of ever having to resort to long term care in a nursing home or assisted living facility should read this article...".

Ok. Then what? I was a CNA for 4 years, part of the time working in a nursing home. We've discussed nursing homes in the past. I've always stated that except for a very few 'boutique' facilities, they are always understaffed and care is 'spotty'.

The good part is that CNA requirements have become more rigorous in most states --- background checks and more schooling that there used to be. But, as this article showed, this was someone who passed a background check and 10 years older than I am. Who woulda' thought?

Another issue that won't change because it's simply too expensive, and difficult, to get more staff and more oversight in these facilities. They pay roughly the same as Walmart, except in my experience, most facilities actually have pretty good benes. But the work is physically and emotionally draining, and turnover is high.  To put is bluntly, you're spending a good part of your day, day-after-day, cleaning bodily fluids/waste on adults, bathing, toileting. Its an awful job and rarely good enough to satisfy the family members (if there are any) that visit. 

There aren't the resources to pay better and increase staff.  

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,582

"Sick, Dying and Raped in America's Nursing Homes"

Message 13 of 13 (173 Views)

Everyone who has a family member, male or female, in a nursing home or who personally contemplates the possibility of ever having to resort to long term care in a nursing home or assisted living facility should read this article:

Some of the victims can't speak. They rely on walkers and wheelchairs to leave their beds. They have been robbed of their memories. They come to nursing homes to be cared for.

Instead, they are sexually assaulted.

The unthinkable is happening at facilities throughout the country: Vulnerable seniors are being raped and sexually abused by the very people paid to care for them.   (Bold & italics mine.)

It's impossible to know just how many victims are out there. But through an exclusive analysis of state and federal data and interviews with experts, regulators and the families of victims, CNN has found that this little-discussed issue is more widespread than anyone would imagine.

Even more disturbing: In many cases, nursing homes and the government officials who oversee them are doing little -- or nothing -- to stop it.

Sometimes pure -- and even willful -- negligence is at work. In other instances, nursing home employees and administrators are hamstrung in their efforts to protect victims who can't remember exactly what happened to them or even identify their perpetrators.

Read more here:  http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/02/health/nursing-home-sex-abuse-investigation/?iid=ob_lockedrai...

I regularly keep up with articles regarding the abuse and neglect of women and girls but I must admit that this is a difficult article to read.  It's not a far reach for anyone with an empathetic nature to imagine his or her own parent, grandparent or disabled relative at the mercy of a psychopath, sexual predator or serial sexual abuser in a nursing home or long-term care facility. 

With all of the causes AARP champions, this one would seem to be ripe for their attention given the numbers of retired and elderly people who may be caught up in this situation...as children & relatives responsible for the health and well-being of the victims and the actual victims themselves.

And do not kid yourselves...it's not just the women residents.  Male residents are targeted for sexual abuse as well.  We all need to educate ourselves regarding this tragic practice and hold HHS, Medicare/Medicaid, state licensing and oversight boards and the institutions involved accountable.

"More than 16,000 complaints of sexual abuse have been reported since 2000 in long-term care facilities (which include both nursing homes and assisted living facilities),according to federal data housed by the Administration for Community Living. But agency officials warned that this figure doesn't capture everything -- only those cases in which state long-term care ombudsmen (who act as advocates for facility residents) were somehow involved in resolving the complaints."  

(source:  CNN in previously cited internet article)

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.