Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

changing mom's address

Hi, we are selling my mom's house & I am not sure what to change her address to; the assisted living facility where she resides, or my address so I am sure to receive anything important?  thoughts?  thank you!

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@mm87956984 wrote:

Hi, we are selling my mom's house & I am not sure what to change her address to; the assisted living facility where she resides, or my address so I am sure to receive anything important?  thoughts?  thank you!

If you have financial power of attorney, or an agreement with your mom to help her pay the bills, i'd have the mail sent to you, and then you can hand deliver personal mail when you visit (at least weekly). Kind of depends... 

Contributor

thanks for responding!  I do have POA and take care of her bills etc.  I thought it might be easier if it just all came here but wondered what others have done.  thanks so much!

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@mm87956984 wrote:

thanks for responding!  I do have POA and take care of her bills etc.  I thought it might be easier if it just all came here but wondered what others have done.  thanks so much!

what GailL and Astraea said!

🙂

Jane

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just changed my nursing home-bound, demented father's address--this is how it worked for me: I called the SSA (800-772-1213) and used the number prompts, picking change of address and when asked, typed in my own SS number (not my Dad's). There was a 55 minute wait so I opted to have SS call me back, which they did. I explained the situation to the rep and she asked me all the crucial info (his and my SS#, plus security info for both us (birth dates, mother's maiden name, where born and the current address they have for him and me). She also asked me what day of the month he recieves his check and I said it goes into his bank account on the 1st but later she said it wasn't on the first, which she said was a good thing (so I don't know what that was about) but she changed his address. Victory! and a big surprise to me because I am not registered as his representative or anything like that with SSA. 

Contributor

It worked!  I can't thank you enough.  The only option S.S. gave on-line was to make an appointment to visit their office an hour away with records and documentation in hand..

Honored Social Butterfly

If you have POA, like the others have said, make your address her legal address so all bills, tax documents, bank statements, brokerage statements, Medicare EOB and anything from Social Security, etc. come to your address.  This will be the address that you will use for her for tax document and anything legal.

You could give her Assisted Living address to friends and family who might want to write to her.

Many assisted living places do not have a secured mail box for the residence so keep that in mind.

Sometimes residence may pick up the mail of others by mistake or because they have a mental impairment.

You probably need to change her address officially to your address on Medicare and Social Security.  Sometimes this is a problem when picking a Medicare plan since they are by area but if you are not very far from her, this is no big deal.

If there is a need, now or later on, she needs to add your name to the Medicare and Social Security file so that you can talk to them about any matter.  If she becomes mentally incapacitated, you will have to become a Representative Payee on Social Security - this only means that you are authorized to spend this money for her benefit and will have to account for such with them.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My elderly aunt lived with me for 2-1/2 years, before she wound up in a nursing home, after hip surgery. Since she already lived with me & I handled her paperwork w/POA, I just told gave friends & relatives the address of the nursing home, because I remember going there & she'd be excited to have gotten a card or letter from someone.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It depends on a bunch of factors:

- Do you live near the assisted living facility, and will be visiting her regularly to bring her "social mail"?

- Who takes care of her "business mail"; does she handle her own checkbook .. or do you take care of all of that?

You may decide to have important mail sent to your house, to make sure it isn't lost, and you can handle it promptly, but have social mail sent to her .. greeting cards, newspaper, magazines, if you don't visit her often.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Contributor

hi thanks for responding!  yes I am nearby and see her everyday.  I take care of her bills etc.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP