Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

caring

caring for mother and husband any suggestions help?

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@shortmock wrote:

Like Jen said, say more and we all can be more specific... but i'll bite...

1. put your zip code into eldercare.gov and then go make an appointment with a social worker to find out all the services that are available and maybe free in your area. these services are paid for by your taxpayer dollars! 

2. join a web site like LotsaHelpingHands.org to organize all the helpers in your life who've said, just let me know if i can do anything. And then get those maybe-volunteers to commit. One errand a month. One afternoon a week. One gin rummy game with your mother so you can take your husband out for a drive. I'm hoping there are other family members. Sign them up! Don't take no for an answer.

3. write more here. this is a support group of sorts: you write and then answers flow over time. and you can read other topics under 'caregiving' to find all kinds of tips and advice you'd never dreamed of.

4. hire an aide for 4 hours twice a week, at a minimum. to get 8 hours free time. don't spend all that time doing errands. devote some of it to ME time.

that's a start.

say more?

Jane

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@shortmock wrote:

Shortmock,

Welcome to the community. Can you tell us a bit more about your situation? How old are your parents? Do they have any memory or mobility issues? Do you have any health issues as well? Are you working full time? Living with them?  We have a weatlth of resources I can point you to if you can provide a bit more detail. 

Thank you!

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP