AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: caregiver of a dialysis patient

Message 1 of 2 (14 Views)

catherinev446191 wrote:

Hello,

I am married to a man with stage 5 kidney disease.  He is also on oxygen 24 seven.  It is very difficult living with him as he has crazy mood swings, is fatigued and cant do much anymore.  I think I am experiencing caregiver burnout.  anyone else out there feel the same way.  

Hi Catherine,

Sounds like being a caregiver to a dialysis patient is a more rare situation on this site, but i hope you get a response from another person in your shoes. I chime in because i was once a social worker on a dialysis unit, and i do remember so vividly my patients, who had to limit their liquid intake to 'ice chips' and who's weight fluctuated so dramatically with water retention between dialysis sessions. Why is he on oxygen? is it related to fluid overload, or heart failure, or one of the pulmonary diseases like emphesema? I'm sorry, he sounds very limited as you point out, and he must be supremely frustrated at times. What (else) causes his mood swings, do you know? What i'm getting at is whether he could be helped by something like a psychotropic. He is miserable and adding to your misery. Have you (both) talked to his doctor(s)? 

I'm so sorry that both of you are dealing with all of this, and that you are feeling burnout. Is there a social worker at the dialysis unit who might suggest something?

for what it's worth, i'm listening...

jane

Highlighted
Info Seeker

caregiver of a dialysis patient

Message 2 of 2 (82 Views)

Hello,

I am married to a man with stage 5 kidney disease.  He is also on oxygen 24 seven.  It is very difficult living with him as he has crazy mood swings, is fatigued and cant do much anymore.  I think I am experiencing caregiver burnout.  anyone else out there feel the same way.