AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Jen
Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: What type of support is offered for caregivers dealing with a spouse or elderly parent?

Message 1 of 6

k920582e wrote:

I have found that online communities have helped me. I always visit the AARP Community Smiley Happy because people are so helpful and always have wonderful advice! I also use Twitter to connect with other caregivers who are going through the same thing. Every Tuesday there is a #carechat, which is an online Twitter chat where people ask and answer questions. It's really amazing to see the way people connect! I've also recently begun using the Kinto community. Kinto is an app that has some practical tools, but also a cool community where you can ask and answer questions, voice your opinions, and vent when you need it Smiley Wink Their website is kinto.care. It's free and really easy to download (and this is someone who can have trouble downloading things from the app store). Obviously you found the wonderful AARP community and it's amazing that there's more out there Heart

K920582e - I sometimes partake in the #carechat too! AARP is hosting a Twitter chat on Monday June 12 at 1 p.m. Eastern featuring Richard Lui of MSNBC and Amy Goyer, our Caregiving Expert. You can join us using hashtag #TougherThanTough. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Report Inappropriate Content

Re: What type of support is offered for caregivers dealing with a spouse or elderly parent?

Message 2 of 6

k920582e wrote:

I have found that online communities have helped me. I always visit the AARP Community Smiley Happy because people are so helpful and always have wonderful advice! I also use Twitter to connect with other caregivers who are going through the same thing. Every Tuesday there is a #carechat, which is an online Twitter chat where people ask and answer questions. It's really amazing to see the way people connect! I've also recently begun using the Kinto community. Kinto is an app that has some practical tools, but also a cool community where you can ask and answer questions, voice your opinions, and vent when you need it Smiley Wink Their website is kinto.care. It's free and really easy to download (and this is someone who can have trouble downloading things from the app store). Obviously you found the wonderful AARP community and it's amazing that there's more out there Heart

This is really helpful advice, thank you! I'm going to check out both Twitter and Kinto.care. You are one of the reasons the AARP community is so great. Many many thanks.

Jane

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 6

Jen

Message 4 of 6

v270082k wrote:

I wanted to know so I can see if what I am going through is normal especially when  there is anger and resentment.

Hi v270082k:

AARP has a list of comprehensive care guides that may be able to point you in the right direction. You can find them HERE: http://www.aarp.org/home-family/caregiving/care-guides/?CMP=RDRCT-IC-CAREGIVING-072616 

How long have you been caring for your parents/souse? 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge

Message 5 of 6

v270082k wrote:

I wanted to know so I can see if what I am going through is normal especially when  there is anger and resentment.

Offered by whom? 

By society at large? State and local governments? The feds? AARP?

I think that at some point in every caregiving situation there is anger and resentment. We're human~!  Yes what you are going through is normal. Yes yes!

Do you mean counseling? I bet you are going through your stresses without much if any help from anyone, either family or friend, or volunteers. In some counties, like the one i live in, the health insurance from obamacare covers mental health support at 100%. Go sit with a friendly capable person and find out how your particular story is working for you, how to make changes if you want to, what makes you feel resentment.

The book called the 36 hour day would also help.

You are very normal.

Say more?

Highlighted
Info Seeker

What type of support is offered for caregivers dealing with a spouse or elderly parent?

Message 6 of 6