Schedule Your Free 30-Minute Life Coaching Session Via Life Reimagined. Learn More »

Conversationalist

Re: Week 5 - Care4YouToo Community Contest

Message 1 of 29 (1,788 Views)

http://www.cdifficile.org/is-c-difficile-contagious/

C diff is a shortened name for clostridium difficile, a 'bad' bacteria that can live in the intestine which is usually held in check by the' good' bacteria living there.  Out of control, it makes you nauseous and gives you uncontrollable diarrhea.  My mom has lost over 10 pounds since contracting it.  Once the bug had the upper hand, she found it difficult to keep a sip of water down and had trouble lifting her head off the bed.

After being diagnosed (that process has improved quite a bit over the last 10 years -- my uncle has been tested negatively for it on several occasions), my mom was given a 2 week prescription for flagyl.  It has to be eaten on a full stomach, three times a day and tastes, she says, terrible.  Not easy when you are nauseous, but my mom is  a fighter and wants to get well.

It is most often contracted in health facitilites, particularly by someone who is taking antibiotics (which kill off intestinal bacteria good and bad), who is elderly, or whose immune system is weakened.  It is currently running rampant in US health facilities and is one of the reasons doctors and hospitals are 'shoving' people out the door -- encouraging them to recover at home, and / or skip rehab facilities, if at all possible.

On Monday, the GI doctor told my mom that because of all she had been through it would take her three times the time it would normally take to recover and she would just have to be patient.  This depressed my mom but this morning (Tuesday) she woke up feeling well - having had two nights of pain free sleep (acetaminophen and ice packs on new knee and swollen ankle).  She is back to her upbeat self.  She has the nurse, OT, aide, and PT coming to see her today.  Hopefully, it won't be too exhausting.  (We prefer to not have them all come on the same day.)

Having a positive attitude won't cure you, but it makes life more enjoyable for you and everyone around you.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 29 (1,825 Views)

Any pics from your travels?

Kymberly Williams-Evans
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 29 (1,829 Views)

My siblings and I are going through that now with our mom. You are so right that the parents themselves need to contribute to the plan and conversation. My sticking point is when the parent (in this case, our mom) is not willing to create a plan for her or his own future. Our mom has a fantasy plan about never growing old, and says she does not want to put her care onto her children. But the reality is that parents who do nothing realistic pretty much then expect someone else to handle their affairs and cares. I hope you get some time to rest, relax, have fun!

kmflener wrote:

Being a caregiver, even as an RN, is very difficult in many ways - physicially, emotionally, financially and it even affects relationships with other family members when one person feels as though they are doing most or all of the work.  I believe it is important for children of elderly parents sit down and have a serious discussion about what the future will hold and draft a plan for everyone to participate and try as best as possible to distribute the work/time equally.  Try to be positive and have everyone engaged in the process and decision making.  This will help when the time comes where the elderly parent needs a caregiver(s) and a plan has already been set.

Kymberly Williams-Evans
Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 29 (1,833 Views)

What is c diff?

delsur wrote:

My mom picked up c diff at a rehab facility just before coming home.  I credit rigorous attention to good hygiene, a diet rich in fresh fruit, vegetables, and probiotics (yogurt & pills) for keeping my uncle and me from catching this very contagious disease.

It has been a great summer for fruit locally.  My mom, unfortunately, hasn't been able to eat much of them.  So I'm freezing cherries, peaches and blueberries so we can all enjoy them during the winter months.

[My mom completed taking the antibiotics Friday & tested negative for c diff early this week but she is still sick (from, so far, unknown causes).  Her internist said she is no longer contagious.  She has an appointment with a GI doctor set for Monday.]

Kymberly Williams-Evans
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 29 (1,842 Views)

I will plant, harvest and eat healthy foods.

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy
Gold Conversationalist

Message 6 of 29 (1,844 Views)

Our fitness colleague and personal trainer Nick Anderson wrote this hepful post about the 5 Nutrition Mistakes Women Make (it applies to men too). She lost over 50 pounds and has kept them off for over 25 years. See if you fall into any of these traps. 

My sister and I just got back from 4 days at the IDEA World Fitness Convention, and we were pleased to see further progress in collaborations between the fitness, nutrition, mind/body, counseling, medical and government worlds. Being healthy is a whole-person state, and having all of these professionals working together is heartening. 

Actively Yours,
Alexandra
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 29 (1,853 Views)

I am feeling so much better. I have more energy, I've lost about 15 lbs, My skin is clearing up, my joints are feeling better. I have been walking more and I think that helps the joints and makes you feel better. I eat good food, lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats. I take my vitamins and supplements so I think all of that together has made me feel so much better.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 29 (1,865 Views)

Being a caregiver, even as an RN, is very difficult in many ways - physicially, emotionally, financially and it even affects relationships with other family members when one person feels as though they are doing most or all of the work.  I believe it is important for children of elderly parents sit down and have a serious discussion about what the future will hold and draft a plan for everyone to participate and try as best as possible to distribute the work/time equally.  Try to be positive and have everyone engaged in the process and decision making.  This will help when the time comes where the elderly parent needs a caregiver(s) and a plan has already been set.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 29 (1,868 Views)

I lost 120 lbs by not dieting. I have a food plan that I can live with for the rest of my life. It revolves around 3 meals a day without snacking inbetween meals and just eating healthily and following the recommendation of a Dietician.

Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 29 (1,819 Views)

My mom picked up c diff at a rehab facility just before coming home.  I credit rigorous attention to good hygiene, a diet rich in fresh fruit, vegetables, and probiotics (yogurt & pills) for keeping my uncle and me from catching this very contagious disease.

It has been a great summer for fruit locally.  My mom, unfortunately, hasn't been able to eat much of them.  So I'm freezing cherries, peaches and blueberries so we can all enjoy them during the winter months.

[My mom completed taking the antibiotics Friday & tested negative for c diff early this week but she is still sick (from, so far, unknown causes).  Her internist said she is no longer contagious.  She has an appointment with a GI doctor set for Monday.]