Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Home & Relationships

Community Manager
AARPTeri

Week 4 - Care4YouToo Community Contest

[ Edited ]

Welcome to week four of the Care4YouToo Fitness and Weight Loss Contest for the Caregiver. This week’s focus is on positive changes you have made to your physical activity.

Week 4 - What improvements have you noticed as a result of changing your physical activity?

728-fitness-challenge-a.jpg

Top upload a photo, simply follow these steps:

1) Click the red Reply button;
2) Click the tree-shaped icon to insert an image;
3) Select Browse to choose the image;
4) Click the red Insert Image button; and
5) Presto! You've uploaded an image

To help the caregivers who join the challenge, twin fitness experts Kymberly Williams-Evans and Alexandra Williams will offer fitness tips, exercises, encouragement, and support as you progress through the Care4YouToo Contest. 

Replying to this post will officially enter you in the contest for a chance to win one (1)  weekly prize valued at approximately $125 (may be gift card) and one (1) grand prize gift card valued at $500 that’s coupled with 1,000 Points that can be used in the AARP Rewards for Goods Program.

To be eligible for the weekly prize, you must post to the weekly contest question.  For example, to be eligible for week 4, you must post during the week of August 4 – 10, 2014.

See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Contest ends 08/24/14.

Not only can you win prizes, but also you will gain the biggest prize of all – a happier, healthier you.

AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
ls8933

Re: Week 4 - Care4YouToo Community Contest

Please use plain text.
sus
Gold Conversationalist
sus

In my early sixties, I often experienced long term pain in my wrist, back or neck. Since becoming eligible for Silver Sneakers at age 65 I have exercised regularly and no longer experience those pains.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
jandmmarlow

I am a 73 year old male who has degenerative arthritis in my lower back, right knee, tops of both feet and at the base of both thumbs. I am an avid golfer who's lower back would start to tighten up and get sore about halfway through an 18 hole round. Another painful symptom was getting out of my car after driving home after a round of golf. I couldn't stand up straight because of pain and stiffness for some time.
I had been prescribed stronger and stronger pain medication until about 2 years ago when I began water aerobics, strengthening and stretching exercises with a physical therapist. After about 2 months I was on my own with a new exercise plan that I continue at my gym. I do 30 minutes of Aerobic exercise and then 30 minutes of strengthening and stretching about 5 or 6 times per week. The symptoms, especially to my lower back, have improved dramatically. No more pain medication.
I have never played better golf than I currently am playing and without the consequences that that I had suffered for years. I know my arthritis is degenerative but now feel I can delay the inevitable for longer than I had imagined.
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
AlexandraFunFit

[ Edited ]

Wow. Congrats on your hard work. For so many years, people with arthritis were told that exercise made it worse. Now research shows the opposite. We actually wrote on this very topic a few weeks ago: Exericse and Arthritis. Looks like you have the 4 needed aspects covered. Happy golfing to you! 

jandmmarlow wrote:
I am a 73 year old male who has degenerative arthritis in my lower back, right knee, tops of both feet and at the base of both thumbs. I am an avid golfer who's lower back would start to tighten up and get sore about halfway through an 18 hole round. Another painful symptom was getting out of my car after driving home after a round of golf. I couldn't stand up straight because of pain and stiffness for some time.
I had been prescribed stronger and stronger pain medication until about 2 years ago when I began water aerobics, strengthening and stretching exercises with a physical therapist. After about 2 months I was on my own with a new exercise plan that I continue at my gym. I do 30 minutes of Aerobic exercise and then 30 minutes of strengthening and stretching about 5 or 6 times per week. The symptoms, especially to my lower back, have improved dramatically. No more pain medication.
I have never played better golf than I currently am playing and without the consequences that that I had suffered for years. I know my arthritis is degenerative but now feel I can delay the inevitable for longer than I had imagined.

Actively Yours,
Alexandra
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
cn559

A few pounds lighter

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker +
DREAMFOXX777

Well, let's see...I have been on a QUAD CANE now for some years....since I started walking more and gaining better balance, I have found that I don't have to use that cane as much...especially around the house.  I'am walking about a full two blocks now...about half a block without my cane. Nevertheless, I still have it as a crutch, in the event I feel like I'm about to lose my footing...but not as much. It takes time and patience when you are trying to overcome dibilatating muscoskeletal issues. But I refuse to let this get the best of me.  The encouragement and hope that AARP's ACTIVITIES give me, help me to thrive, and try to make the best of a depressing situation. Thanks so much for these innoative contests that give us 'BOOMERS' a reason to keep on keeping on!

CORDIALLY...

DREAMFOXX   

MS. JOAN ANTOINETTE BURTON
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
KymberlyWE

[ Edited ]

What is a quad cane? Congrats on all your progress and triumphs!

Kymberly Williams-Evans
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
KymberlyWE

IMG_4147.JPGThis is what and who gets me on a walk every day! Hard to resist those faces and ready-to-run paws!

Kymberly Williams-Evans
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
KymberlyWE

Hello all! Here we are at Week 4 of the 6, and the tough part is upon us -- sticking with our new habits and implementing the small changes we committed to. I am so impressed by the success stories thus far. Like you, I am working to improve my eating habits (fewer nighttime snacks) and movement habits (which are pretty good already, though I need to add INTENSITY to my walks).

If you need a boost to get your new habits to stick, read this post culled from an expert panel on health and habits. http://funandfit.org/replace-health-cares-with-healthy-habits-from-blogher/

Meantime, I hope you enjoy this image I made and that you resoundingly answer "YES!"Active Aging Superstar.jpg

Kymberly Williams-Evans
Please use plain text.