Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Tax deductions to move out of state at retirement

Periodic Contributor

Tax deductions to move out of state at retirement

Hello... I have what might be a rather silly quetion but I am planning to move out of state and in with my son at the retirement age of 66. I was just wondering now.. being as I will be moving into his home, due to my retirement, he will be my primary caretaker... are there any circumstances that would make my actual move out of state a tax deduction? Other than for work.. Not to sure how this works in AARP forum, but hopefully can figure out if I get any answers, how to find them..

Thanks in advance.. what an introduction that is, huh? lol

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@lindastuff wrote:

Hello... I have what might be a rather silly quetion but I am planning to move out of state and in with my son at the retirement age of 66. I was just wondering now.. being as I will be moving into his home, due to my retirement, he will be my primary caretaker... are there any circumstances that would make my actual move out of state a tax deduction? Other than for work.. Not to sure how this works in AARP forum, but hopefully can figure out if I get any answers, how to find them..

Hey Linda! Well I for one am glad you're moving in, because family can support everyone in it. As for adventures in the tax code? Beats the heck out of me. You can call the IRS directly. Or your friendly neighborhood tax preparer, who's busier than a one armed wall paper hanger at this point in the year. Have you done your taxes? you could schedule a visit, get 'em done, pay a little, and then ask your question.

I downsized and moved across the country and i am SO GLAD that i got rid of so much stuff. I do hope i don't replace it.... but i live in a smaller space now.... here's hoping....

Best of luck!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks, I'm not getting rid of everything, but heavy big things..

@JaneCares wrote:

@lindastuff wrote:

Hey Linda! Well I for one am glad you're moving in, because family can support everyone in it. As for adventures in the tax code? Beats the heck out of me. You can call the IRS directly. Or your friendly neighborhood tax preparer, who's busier than a one armed wall paper hanger at this point in the year. Have you done your taxes? you could schedule a visit, get 'em done, pay a little, and then ask your question.

I downsized and moved across the country and i am SO GLAD that i got rid of so much stuff. I do hope i don't replace it.... but i live in a smaller space now.... here's hoping....

Best of luck!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP