Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Silver Conversationalist

Re: Is anyone taking care of a spouse?

Message 71 of 278 (2,145 Views)

My dogs are precious friends I do not know how I would cope without them. 

GEH
Silver Conversationalist

Message 72 of 278 (2,005 Views)

My dogs are precious friends I do not know how I would cope without them. 

GEH
Silver Conversationalist

Message 73 of 278 (1,968 Views)

The liver doctor believed there is still health and life left in his liver if he would stay of Alcohol there is no telling how many years he would have but he will not stop drinking so I fear he will be gone by christmas. I fear he is in denial off his condition and addiction and had fallen into a depression and is giving up. I do not know how to reach him. 

GEH
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 74 of 278 (1,828 Views)

geh66 wrote:

No he keeps saying HE won't be around much longer, his ex wife died in April 2016 of a ruptured hernia I am his 3rd wife

Oh i see. I hope he does get better and feels better. What does his doctor say?

He is so lucky to have you in his life.

Those dogs sounds like precious friends.

Jane

Silver Conversationalist

Message 75 of 278 (1,827 Views)

My dogs are wonderful my Nicknames for them are Mr hugs and Mr kiddies. The one thought that I hold on to that keeps me going is My husband is not a bad man that needs to get better he is a very sick man who needs to get well.

GEH
Silver Conversationalist

Message 76 of 278 (1,821 Views)

Thank You for your words if support.

GEH
Silver Conversationalist

Message 77 of 278 (1,772 Views)

No he keeps saying HE won't be around much longer, his ex wife died in April 2016 of a ruptured hernia I am his 3rd wife

GEH
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 78 of 278 (1,812 Views)

Hey GEH,

I'm so glad you have your wonderful dogs to comfort you. You do have your hands full otherwise. Your parents have their own struggles, his sons are young men with lots going on and a thousand miles away. You have the NAMI app, thank goodness for that. 

You mentioned that your husband gets depressed and says that you won't be around for much longer? is that right? You are not his first wife, i take it. I can see how he might have a history of driving people 'crazy, and away.'  I have a friend who's second husband was like that. He is currently being cared for by his 2 children, each of whom have jobs and families. His 9th wife is divorcing him so that she can avoid being brought down, financially and otherwise, by his decline. He's much older, in his 80s, and a hot mess. But with a long history of bipolar alcoholic mental illness. Enough charm to attract 9 different women to be married to him. But now that he's falling apart, it's his 2 blood kin who are taking him on. Fortunately he's a veteran and is eligible for a bunch of help. This includes placement in a facility, which is the next step unfortunately. He flushes his drugs down the toilet... sigh. His own worse enemy.

I hope you have friends, even just one, who can listen to you and not pass judgment, but just be a loving presence and a pleasant distraction from your daily battle. 

After you cry (and crying is a great catharctic activity in my own life), what helps you keep going?

Jane

Silver Conversationalist

Message 79 of 278 (1,839 Views)
Another Poem
I shed Tears
Tears of Anguish
Tears of Anger
Tears of Despair
Tears of Frustration
Tears of Outrage
Tears of Pain
Tears of Sadness
GEH
Silver Conversationalist

Message 80 of 278 (1,806 Views)
My husband will NEVER willingly give me conservertorship I WILL have to go to get a lawyer and go to court to do it, That is one of or part of his mental health issues CONTROL, I chalk it up to the possibility he is feeling a sense of control of his life due to his mental health and subsequent addiction/Substance abuse issues. I am biding my time because I am feeling it is only a matter of time he ends up in hospital again and that is when I will act so that I can keep him in the hospital last time he was in hospital he left against doctors wishes.
GEH