Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: New here, what can you do to keep strong for loved one

Message 1 of 5 (167 Views)

williamn466607 wrote:

Hi everyone, I am new here.  I have been the primary caregiver to my darling wife of 59 years since she suffered a hip injury last year and now has a severe lack of mobility.  Obviously it has changed our lives.  I do what I can every day to keep her interested in things we always enjoyed and help her recovery.  I'll be honest, my daughter urged me to use this site for support.  Family and friends do what they can to help, but at the end of the day it is just me and my wife here.  I feel like I am doing OK, but wonder what do other caregivers do for themselves to stay strong and keep yourself going?  What do you do for your loved one to keep them engaged through recovery?  Thanks for sharing any insight.      

Hi William!  I agree with the advice you've gotten: a day off for you is so important. And looking into whatever might be able to help improve her mobility. Finding a support group. Awesome things to implement. You've been together a long time. You are both so lucky. 

What do you think would be an ideal situation for you two? Perhaps by enlarging the caregiving circle you can both feel that you are in a 'village' of caregivers, including your daughter, other family, friends, whomever wants to be with her, and perhaps some hired help so you can get a break. Hire someone to clean the bathroom and kitchen twice a month maybe. If you are of modest means, maybe you have grandkids you can press into service? It takes a village to do almost anything, really, and certainly to age with dignity and grace. 

Do you want to 'age in place'?  Eventually retire someplace else? Have you talked to a financial planner, geriatric caremanager or eldercare attorney?

I don't mean to scare you. :-)   If you two want to stay in the driver's seat of your future plans, it helps to inform yourself. Which you are doing. 

A caregiver group in person would be awesome, too. Google 'caregiver support group' and your town or county and see what you can find. You can also start your own if you have the energy and inclination.

What do you think of the feedback you've received so far? What would you like to know that you don't?

Jane

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 5 (405 Views)

@williamn466607 - Is your wife's current "severe lack of mobility" directly linked to her hip injury .. would more therapy help her recover faster? Have to checked with insurance & organizations in your area, about assistance to which she'd be entitled, to help her, help you around the house, and provide some respite for you?

When I was a caregiver - for an elderly aunt who'd moved in with me - I began attending a caregivers' support group, at the local senior center. The group was facilitated by a geriatric social worker, so she also had a wealth of information & experience to share with us.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 5 (407 Views)

@deboraj256501 - I think you may not realize you have your "Cap Lock" set your keyboard, because everything is in capital letters, EXCEPT for things we'd normally capitalize .. like "I".

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 5 (415 Views)

HELLO i HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A BLESSED DAY TODAY... rEMEBER YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOU ONE DAY A WEEK FOR YOUR.... VERT IMPORTANTFOR YOUR HEALTH YOU MUST GET AWAYLEAVE HOUSE IF YOU CAN.... IF YOU CANT SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE THERE FOER YOUR WIFE YOU NEED TO BE BY YOURSELF..... MAKE THERAPHY A DAILY THING MAKE IT FUN YOU HAVE TO DO EXCERSIE AND HE DO THERAPHY HOPE THIS HELPS 

Info Seeker

New here, what can you do to keep strong for loved one

Message 5 of 5 (435 Views)

Hi everyone, I am new here.  I have been the primary caregiver to my darling wife of 59 years since she suffered a hip injury last year and now has a severe lack of mobility.  Obviously it has changed our lives.  I do what I can every day to keep her interested in things we always enjoyed and help her recovery.  I'll be honest, my daughter urged me to use this site for support.  Family and friends do what they can to help, but at the end of the day it is just me and my wife here.  I feel like I am doing OK, but wonder what do other caregivers do for themselves to stay strong and keep yourself going?  What do you do for your loved one to keep them engaged through recovery?  Thanks for sharing any insight.