Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Moving husband with dementia across the country

Contributor

Moving husband with dementia across the country

I am planning to sell our home on the west coast and move the two of us to PA where our daughter lives. We have been living in a rural area without any services such as dementia day care, or geriatric medical care, etc. Lots of plusses to making the move, but I am at a loss as to how I can actually physically get us and our beloved cat across the country.  It is a 40 hour drive.  I can imagine driving with the cat (he's a good traveler) and taking the time to do it in 5 to 6 hour days, but I hesitate to put my husband under that stress. He is pretty coherent and in a good mood from when he wakes up to about 2 pm, then the sundowning starts to sneak in.

If we fly, we'd have to ship the car and rent one for the waiting period while it gets there. There will be stress of everything being different for a while. I hate to move twice, so storage makes sense but then there won't be our familiar stuff around. Anyone out there done a similar move? Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Can you have someone fly to you and drive your car to your new place? Offer to pay for the gas and time--

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP