Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

How to handle loneliness and isolation

Great AARP video on how to handle loneliness and isolation.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The aunt who lived with me her last 2-1/2 years became very hard of hearing in her mid- to late-80s. She'd gotten a hearing aid several years before moving in with me, and said it "hadn't helped" .. but I came to realize she often wrote things off too easily! When she was living with me, her doctor said they had much better hearing aids she could try, and she could certainly afford it .. but she refused to "bother" (although it would have been me doing all the legwork for her!).

After a while, no one wanted to talk loud enough for her to hear, so they'd speak at a normal volume .. forcing me to repeat everything much louder .. and by the end of the day I could bearly talk at all! Even if I kept reminding people to speak louder for her, they stopped bothering.

I could never understand why she refused to pursue a new hearing aide, but instead accused people of mumbling!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@EveRH wrote:

The aunt who lived with me her last 2-1/2 years became very hard of hearing in her mid- to late-80s. She'd gotten a hearing aid several years before moving in with me, and said it "hadn't helped" .. but I came to realize she often wrote things off too easily! When she was living with me, her doctor said they had much better hearing aids she could try, and she could certainly afford it .. but she refused to "bother" (although it would have been me doing all the legwork for her!).

After a while, no one wanted to talk loud enough for her to hear, so they'd speak at a normal volume .. forcing me to repeat everything much louder .. and by the end of the day I could bearly talk at all! Even if I kept reminding people to speak louder for her, they stopped bothering.

I could never understand why she refused to pursue a new hearing aide, but instead accused people of mumbling!

So frustrating and preventable!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP