Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Help with transportation

I need help taking my dad to the doctor.  Every time I get sick, he gets "sick" and wants to go to the doctor. I'm having knee surgery Thursday and he just called and he called and his knees are bothering him really bad and he "needs" to go the the doctor now and I'm trying to get things done before my surgery.  Do you know of any organizations that can help with this in the Tulsa, OK area? 

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@dgjones wrote:

I need help taking my dad to the doctor.  Every time I get sick, he gets "sick" and wants to go to the doctor. I'm having knee surgery Thursday and he just called and he called and his knees are bothering him really bad and he "needs" to go the the doctor now and I'm trying to get things done before my surgery.  Do you know of any organizations that can help with this in the Tulsa, OK area? 

Hi DG,

Sounds like it's kind of a psychological thing that your dad goes through, is that right? Goodness, so he feels sick exactly how or where you do? Is he feeling afraid that your attention is directed at you instead of him when he gets sick?  what else is going on with him?

You or he might not be able to afford it, but you could try a consultation with a geriatric care manager. i used to be one. for a fee you get a kind and deeply experienced social worker (usually. sometimes a nurse.) who will begin working with you and your dad to see what he needs. She (i have yet to meet a male social worker case manager but i'm always hopeful!) can even take him to the doctor, take notes for him (and you) and help him implement whatever the doctor recommends. 

I hope there are other folks who can keep an eye on him while you are busy recovering from knee surgery!!!!?

Tell us more...

Jane

Contributor

Thanks for the advice, I’ll check that out. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@dgjones wrote:

Dgjones,

Hi and welcome. I would suggest you first check out the Eldercare Locator. You can type in your zipcode and select "Transportation" from the drop down menu and you should receive recomendations on transportation. You can access the site HERE. 

Please let us know if you find anything. 

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check the site out. The facility where he lives was able to take him this time but that is not always the case. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP