Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Guardian of Adult Child with Mental Illness

Contributor

Guardian of Adult Child with Mental Illness

I am the guardian for my son who is 37 and is currently in a group home. I go to NAMI support groups and find that there are many parents that are retired and dealing with their loved ones with mental illness. I did not see any blogs from other retired, or older parents dealing with this issue. Would love to start a thread for support.

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would like to know if anyone who is guardian of adult son/daughter that has experienced the pros and cons of having your loved one in a group home. My son is in a group home, but he would like to live with me. I am researching what is the best for him and I.  He is compliant with his medications, however he refuses any therapy. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to convince my son that he needs to attend therapy?

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@gribber wrote:

I am the guardian for my son who is 37 and is currently in a group home. I go to NAMI support groups and find that there are many parents that are retired and dealing with their loved ones with mental illness. I did not see any blogs from other retired, or older parents dealing with this issue. Would love to start a thread for support.

You've gotten one response! That's a start! I know its come up before but i don't know if you can dig it up. i hope you will get more responses. 

what would you like to know from other parents?

Jane

0 Kudos
Contributor

It is not what I want to know from other members, but just a thread to share the difficulties dealing with mental illness as a family member. I do go to support group and found other parents going through the same extremely hard times dealing with their loved ones. Some parents have loved ones in jail that should be getting treatment. Just hearing other stories helped me deal what I am going through.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi, I also have adult son who is mentallt ill

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, me too

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP