Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Dementia Caregiver Bootcamp - would you go?!

AARP Expert

Dementia Caregiver Bootcamp - would you go?!

I think this dementia caregiver bootcamp sounds wonderful! Gaining new skills about how to interact with someone who has dementia - at various stages - could help so many people, right?! It's one of the most depleting things as I care for my 93 yr old Dad who has Alzheimers. And I've cared for and worked with people who have dementia for 35 years and it's STILL hard for me! I'd love to go to this bootcamp - would you?

Dementia Bootcamp for Caregivers - UCLA 

0 Kudos

I would definitely go if it were close to my home.  My 67 yr old husband of 44 years was just diagnosed.  I'm a mess!  I can't find help and I only know 1 lady who knows about dementia. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@beaver124 wrote:

I would definitely go if it were close to my home.  My 67 yr old husband of 44 years was just diagnosed.  I'm a mess!  I can't find help and I only know 1 lady who knows about dementia. 

Beaver124:

We have a really great free Care Guide on Dementia that can help you on this journey. You can download it HERE. 

I would also suggest contacting your local ALZ chapter for support groups. You can find that info HERE.

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
Contributor

No. But I would go to an AARP Sponsored program featuring Teepa Snow who is, in my humble opinion, one of the best teachers for dealing with confusing or upsetting behaviors as well as teaching the communication skills essential for getting through the "dementia day".

Contributor

Yes I would really try to go depending a lot on how long it was.  my husband gets mean and abusive and i have no help from his family.  They are most of the problem so finding new ways to handle  him would be really helpful.  Also it would be nice to be with people with the same type of problems.  I use to go to a support group which I liked but got worried that if I said the wrong thing and they took it wrong they might say i wasn't taking care of him right and I would have more troubles than it would be worth.  They seemed to hang on my every word so I got scared and quit going and I do miss just hearing about things that their dealing with.  It helped me feel connected and not so alone..

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

I know what you mean - it's so helpful to have the support, although sometimes support groups can be tough. The key thing is help with managing behaviors. Maybe these articles I wrote will give you some new ideas!  

Dealing With Dad’s Difficult Alzheimer’s Behaviors

and

10 Ways to Manage Sundown Syndrome

Honored Social Butterfly

Being a caregiver is behind me, but going to an extensive program when someone already is a caregiver, wouldn't be easy (or even feasible for some) .. and my guess is that until someone has to deal with it, they won't want to commit their time to attending.

@agoyer - How much time could you dedicate to a bootcamp program .. daily or weekly sessions .. while being a caregiver? If I attended one at the local community college, between commuting & a 90 minute session, I'd be out of the house a minimum of 3 hours.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

I have to agree - I juggle work and caregiving so it's twice as hard to get time. I think I would make time for a one day training though - personally I'd rather do that then have to attend shorter sessions multiple times. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

That's a good point! It can be so hard to find the time to do important things like this Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

It really is hard when our time is so limited. That's why I like online offerings so I can watch on my own time. On the other hand, I rarely then do it! So sometimes having something scheduled on my calendar that I'm expected at will actually prod me to do it more! If it was something I thought would make my daily life as a caregiver easier I would definitely figure out a way!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP