Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Caregiving preparation starts long before needed!

Honored Social Butterfly

Caregiving preparation starts long before needed!

After reading countless posts in this area, often responded to very well by some of the posters here, I have to wonder why these posts seem to run in the same vein.

The caregiver is overwhelmed.  They are fighting a losing battle with both the person they are caring for and "the system" of aid and assistance.  They are trying to figure out how to deal with the difficulties while they are already immersed in the day to day issues.

I have to wonder why we (the general population)  do not realize that at some point we will get old, we will be less capable, we will need support and resources and we don't make preparation?

At a certain age depending on your health and family history, should you not begin making plans for what you will do if one of the couple needs care, or both need care?

Should you not think about the type of housing you have, the food that you eat, the location of family and support people who could help you in relation to where you live?  

Should you not make preparation for your legal affairs and your medical affairs?

This reminds me of High School in that kids getting ready for college need advisors to assist them in planning the transition to college or work.   Same goes for getting old.  Do senior centers offer any kind of planning assistance?  

What can we do to make things clearer to an aging population?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It may be the same reason people make a mess of their own & family finances and important legal arrangements, because they try to avoid the cost of getting advice & assistance from trained professionals. They'll ask a bunch of strangers on a website for help, but not start in their own town at the municipal building, senior center or state AARP office, to get direction on professionals who can provide information & guidance to them .. often as a free service. I surely don't get it.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Honored Social Butterfly

Has anyone dealt with their state Aging Services Division..  it looks like they could be a very valuable resource.

State Resources

Every state has an Aging Services Division dedicated to providing frail seniors with home and community-based services, so that they can continue living in their own homes, instead of having to enter a nursing home.

A wide range of state assistance programs are generally available to eligible seniors, including home health aides and skilled nursing care, home-delivered meals, help with household chores, transportation to shopping and medical appointments, as well as counseling, advocacy and legal aid. 

In addition to these programs that help senior citizens directly, many states also offer caregiver assistance programs that provide family caregivers with information, counseling, and respite services.

https://www.eldercaredirectory.org/state-resources.htm

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

AARP has information as well I see.  I wonder how many have looked at this information ahead of time.

Prepare to Care - this practical guide will help you find information, resources and checklists to help you get organized and find the support you might need. 

Help for First Time Caregivers

Help Caring for a Loved One with Cancer

Please don't hesitate to come back for any information you may need or even if it's just to vent. We are here for your. Write soon!

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP