Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Becoming a Caregiver of Love One.

When you start to take care of your Love One You start to  feel like your not being appreciated, sometimes because they don't ever tell you thank you. But you have to put yourself in their shoes sometimes and think they haven't ever been sick like this before. So I had to give him some space and just ask him if I was doing something wrong or upsetting him at all about anything, and He said No of course not why would I ask him that and I told him because he hasn't said anything like "Thank You, I LOVE YOU, I Appreciate What You Have Gave Up To Take Care Of Me" since I did quit my job to take care of him. He was like Oh My Gosh I'm So Sorry Please Forgive Me.

I did and now we talk more and he is doing so much better than he was I am so proud of Him and We Are Working More on his Walking and its getting better. So give them a chance and just communicate with them don't give up.

Community Concierge

@MawMa1966 wrote:

When you start to take care of your Love One You start to  feel like your not being appreciated, sometimes because they don't ever tell you thank you. But you have to put yourself in their shoes sometimes and think they haven't ever been sick like this before. So I had to give him some space and just ask him if I was doing something wrong or upsetting him at all about anything, and He said No of course not why would I ask him that and I told him because he hasn't said anything like "Thank You, I LOVE YOU, I Appreciate What You Have Gave Up To Take Care Of Me" since I did quit my job to take care of him. He was like Oh My Gosh I'm So Sorry Please Forgive Me.

I did and now we talk more and he is doing so much better than he was I am so proud of Him and We Are Working More on his Walking and its getting better. So give them a chance and just communicate with them don't give up.

MawMa1966, 

Thank you so much for this reminder, indeed it's very important to communicate in all relationships, especially in a caregiving scenario. Your post reminded me of one of our careguides on how to resolve conflicts. Caring for a loved one can be hard on both parties. It's a good reminder to step back and discuss issues that may arise. Click HERE for the careguide mentioned. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP