What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

sbiondo

Well, most of us read that being alone or lonely is detrimental to the state of one with dementia, and increases the risk of developing the disease itself. 

I have found the most caring response to a victim of Alzheimer's or other dementia is to let them know they are not alone. 

My husband has Posterior Cortical Atrophy, diagnosed when he was only 56. Because of the inability of his brain to recognize what his eyes see, he must be treated as if he were blind. 

If I am not talking to him, or otherwise engaged, he most likely believes he is all alone in this world (sad and frightening). 

So I talk to him wherever I am in the house constantly, and hold his hand (he grips mine and won't let go) as much as possible. He knows he's not alone and is so much happier for the remainder of the day. 

Another tactic I use I learned from reflexology. If a person is agitated, won't sleep or is fighting sleep; I gently press and massage the very top of the ear between my thumb and index finger. Instant calm and drowsiness!

I hope this helps those of you dealing with agitation or sleeplessness of their beloved. They'll be happier and so will you. 

0 Kudos
Comments
patriciam907549

Thank you for that good tip!

Patsy

AARP Terms of Service