Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Info Seeker

money saving tip

Message 1 of 26 (5,938 Views)

When I go to local dollar store,which is over 25 miles away, i purchase the scratch pads with the sponge included, so save on buying them seperate, then when i get home, i cut them in half, so that they will go last longer. And it means less trips to the store as well, so saving on gas also. I keep a spray bottle of peroxide under kitchen cabinet, so once  a day, i spray them, to clean, so they are germ free for next use. This is one of the many tips I've found helpful over the years.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: money saving tip

Message 2 of 26 (5,882 Views)

I don't see hydrogen peroxide as saving money. It is several times more expensive than vinegar. One can purchase cleaning vinegar, which is 6% acidity, for about $3.25 a gallon.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 26 (5,867 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

I don't see hydrogen peroxide as saving money. It is several times more expensive than vinegar. One can purchase cleaning vinegar, which is 6% acidity, for about $3.25 a gallon.

@retiredtraveler and @pt21427831 I use peroxide to help keep my hair white. Without occasional peroxide rinses, it tends to yellow on the ends.

Can't speak for prices in your area --prices are sometimes regional-- however I purchase peroxide from Walmart for .79 per quart, which makes it less expensive than their white vinegar which sellsl fro $3.30. That said, I'd rather use vinegar on a sponge and in the kitchen, because it kills 99% of all pathogens on contact, and because it is actually a food item. But that's me. Peroxide poisoning does happen, though I understand it requires ingesting a fairly large amount. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 26 (5,824 Views)

Yikes; came into this topic thinking "nice; great topic", then found the issue to be pretty nasty (well, it does evolve into cleaning, so there you go)...

I have been self-supporting for 20+ years; I did become homeless for a while (within the last 5 years), but recovered.

The only money saving tip I have is BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET, and within that budget give yourself the "me" money (e.g. $10/month for drive thru or CiCi's).

I seriously appreciate the $10 I give to me...

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 26 (5,818 Views)

WebWiseWoman wrote:

The only money saving tip I have is BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET, and within that budget give yourself the "me" money (e.g. $10/month for drive thru or CiCi's).

I seriously appreciate the $10 I give to me...

@WebWiseWoman Hey, happy Friday. Smiley Happy

Good tip about giving yourself some fun money each month.

We don't do that, exactly, but we do head off to Dairy Queen for a small dipped cone once in a while --perhaps 8 times a year. The ingredients are pretty sane (read: real food) so it's a treat we feel good about. Smiley Wink Also the local Dairy Queen usually sells small dipped cones for a buck on Wednedays in the summer, so we try to go then. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 26 (5,754 Views)

The stock markets currently have a great deal deal of emotional up swings for Investors. Yes, the second half of 2016  wasn't as productive as Q1 & Q2, however, GDP was up 3% and unemployment down under 5% close to full employment. Currently,  the Dow Jones, S&P 500 and NASDAQ are setting records. What goes up can come down too. I'm see silver a better investment than gold and high yields are paying great dividends of return for risk takers. Treasury bills are fairing well. I'm not big on the bonds.

Google new partnership with INTEL on driveless vehicles by 2026 their estimated revenue is $96 billion dollars. UCLA is going to have an injection drug from their cancer research department soon. So, please be awre to take your emotions out of your asset allocation portfolio and do your own diligence before buying or selling stocks in your portfolio. 

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 26 (5,662 Views)
Hey Epster - Next time you go to DQ - jump outside your comfort zone and get a Salted Caramel Truffle Blizzard® Treat. And - Smile with every bite!! It will do you good!! :-)

Don't think about it - Just Do it. Noooo thoughts of "But - afterwards, I will...."

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 26 (5,641 Views)

wilful wrote:
Hey Epster - Next time you go to DQ - jump outside your comfort zone and get a Salted Caramel Truffle Blizzard® Treat. And - Smile with every bite!! It will do you good!! :-)

Don't think about it - Just Do it. Noooo thoughts of "But - afterwards, I will...."

@wilful Nothin' doin'! Here's one reason: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/02/caramel-color-and-your-health/index.htm .  Another reason is that they don't offer the discount on anything but the small dipped cone. Yet another reason is that I don't want to consume that many empty calories. Smiley Happy

We usually go to the drive through in a vehicle with the top down. The wind in our hair does us good. Smiley Happy Add that to the happiness of getting treat for a great price, well you have emotional gold. Smiley Happy

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 26 (5,590 Views)

Or you can save money & time by just putting them in the microwave oven for 10-15 sec.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 26 (5,052 Views)

My advice:  Don't let down-on-their-luck relaties "temporarily" move in with you.  She's still here, over a year later, and I can no longer afford my rent & utilities.  We're going to both be homeless soon!