Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Info Seeker

Re: What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Message 691 of 733 (436 Views)

I would first pay off my debts.  Then possibly I would buy a ranch style home (one floor).  I would keep an emergency fund, and then give to charity:  my church and womens' groups, and probably St Jude's.  I've always wanted to have a senior womens home, so if I had enough, I would do that.

Info Seeker

Message 692 of 733 (436 Views)

Well of course windfall is not a very definitive term. To some of us that could mean $1000, to others $100,000. If the windfall was large enough I would finish rehabbing my condo and put something aside for retirement/longterm care. Anything left over I would love to take my family on a vacation maybe to visit my siblings who live in another country. Anything more than that I would invest in starting an orphanage for teens and try to give them something of value for their lives.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 693 of 733 (434 Views)

Well after I was revived from fainting, I have to seat and make a list of what was the best ways and things to spend that money on. If i were younger i would plan for the future, but since i am a senior my plans would be of course fix my money issues first. Then help the son and puts some money up for the grandkids to have when they graduate school. And if any were left over i would take a vacation to some country and enjoy myself while i can.

Info Seeker

Message 694 of 733 (435 Views)

HOUSE repair, savings, maybe trade vehicle or extended  warranty 

Info Seeker

Message 695 of 733 (434 Views)
Since we are financially set with planning from financial advisor, I would gift the maximum amount annually to our daughter to pay off college loans until the windfall was gone.
Info Seeker

Message 696 of 733 (434 Views)

I would buy a new place in an elevator building with all of the amenities that I've always wanted in the expensive city, and indoor parking.  Nothing extravagant, but very comfy.  And sell my old place which is already paid off, maybe have it remodeled before I sell it.

I would calculate if I could retire early and would if I could and begin an exploration of the next phase of my life.

I would sock away the rest of the cash to investments.  Maybe get involved in public service in some way that is interesting to me and my skill set somehow and take it from there.  Maybe if there is enough money do some travels, or live temporarily in other cities to experience it.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 697 of 733 (429 Views)

Short term: invest it.

Long term: use it to fuel our retirement.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 698 of 733 (427 Views)

IF I had a sudden onset of $$$  I would first pay off all my children's debt along with our debt.  Then IF I had any $$ left over, I would buy a large farm, big enough for all of my family,  and take all the shelter dogs from the "Kill" shelters and give them a permanent home with our family.  

Info Seeker

Message 699 of 733 (299 Views)

Depends on how large the windfall is. Would love to pay off my mortgage & credit card debt, replenish the IRA I've dipped in to due to unemployment & illness, then do the same for my sibling. 

If there were any money left, I would help a couple of friends in similar situations, then donate to a couple of charities near & dear to my heart.

Info Seeker

Message 700 of 733 (253 Views)

I was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. I would take a vacation between chemotherapy sessions. Then I would buy a small travel trailer to live in, that way I could travel to my sons house and be closer to my family.