Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Buy a really nice Travel Trailer.

Contributor

Pay off house, car, credit card & medical debts & make sure Mom gets the best care... and then if any left, buy my first NEW car & new music gear

0 Kudos

Being disabled, aside from a house and new car. I need money for retirement.

0 Kudos

I would first hire someone to take care of our large lawn. My husband age and make it a very difficult job for him. Next I would put some in savings so I could buy presents when events occur, such as weddings, birthdays, Christmas, etc. Third priority would be charity. Then invest in newer car.
0 Kudos

Pay off my credit cards, the house and the cars and start my travelling fund.Heart Also, help my family and best friend and a HUGE contribution to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital and the NICU.

The very 1st thing....pay off all of my daughter's debt and her college tuition. She moved 900 miles to go to school and even took on a job at Lowe's to help her cause. It would absolutely make her life a lil easier. Ahhh, the power of suggestion :0)

0 Kudos

first I would fix up my current home that I own , sell it and then by the home that I've always wanted, secondly I would invest some and third of all I would pay off my 2 son's student loans and my daughter in law student loan
Contributor

The first thing I'd do is pay off all my bills including the Solar installation.  Then I'd sock a bit away for a rainny day or my "old age".   I'd also put some into Mon's checking account to keep her well cared for in Assisted Living.  

I'd definitely donate some to my favorite charities if there way any left over from that.

I support my local food bank and several animal shelters, children and of course my March of Dimes which I have volunteere for since 1993 knowing the story of my own birth.  

0 Kudos

I like that part about nurses!.we are underappreciated alot!
Regular Contributor

Depending on the amount, at least half of it would go into some type of savings. Then some of it would be used to make some home improvements. For example, if it was $50,000 it would get split

like I said. Any larger amount would bring in a good financial advisor to discuss options in addition to making the home improvements.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just retired from the medical field.  I would pay off some bills and as a Third World Medical Missionary I would help provide assistance to rebuilding the Emergency Room in Haiti that was destroyed by the earthquake.

I would set some aside for my granddaughter for college and buy a small travel trailer so I could become a "Snowbird" durring the winter months.

0 Kudos

"Party, like it was 1999!!!"

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my equity line of credit from Bank of America that has been going on for to long. It is due in March and I am on disability which means I can't pay it in full. That would take half the winnings. I would also get a newer safer car.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

If we're talking multi-millions, I would share it with my kids, become an active Republican and then do whatever we want to.  If we're talking $50K, I'd take the family on a cruise and bank the rest.

0 Kudos

of course
0 Kudos
Contributor

make a better way for all I can,and my ex.

0 Kudos
Contributor

buy a home for me and to start my ex in a home.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I currently have no debt or mortgage. If the windfall was > $2 million, I'd set up a charitable trust & put $1 million directly into it .. protecting that from income tax. Then I'd begin looking for a newer & smaller home in a more walkable town, to prepare for the future .. or buy a tear-down & build.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos

I would take a vacation I an't took in a long time. Then pay off some bills.
0 Kudos

I have worked all these years up to my retirement 3 years ago. I haven't had the opportuinty to travel further than the New England states so I would start take trips around the U.S. with the windfall money.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Depends on the amount. I would purchase a chair lift, build a deck on my back, put a bathroom on my first floor and other things like painting throughout my home. I would give money to my daughter, grandkids, great grand kids, neices and nephews, as well as great neices and nephews. My mortgage payments are low so If there was anything lift I would pay off my auto loan and then pay off/down my mortgage. I would have a ball doing stuff and helping my family members.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I Would Share The Wealth WitH
Everyone That Helped ME DuriNg My Journey.
0 Kudos

help my family & pay my bills off
0 Kudos
Contributor

Give my family a perminent home where we can be together.....

0 Kudos

Unable to close pop up window to continue to sweepstakes.

0 Kudos

If I was to win the $50,000 my wife would be able to retire early.
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Pay off my debts. I would save a lot of money from the interest I would no longer be paying. If there is any thing left, I would become a Motley Fool.

0 Kudos
Contributor

pay off bills & then stash the rest into a retirement account
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would payoff some bills and take all 5 grandkids to Disneyland for the weekend.......

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP